Best Yellow Sweet Corn

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Txsteader, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Txsteader

Txsteader Well-Known Member

Golden Bantam did well for us this spring. Good production, tender, great taste.

I'm wondering what other varieties might be worth trying next year. Any recommendations?

2. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

Well, for about the last 10 years,we've had Incredible. It was just as good frozen as on the cob. And it's good on the cob. But for the last 2 years it's been Honey Select. Oh mercy is that stuff GOOD! It tastes like you are slicing it off the cob to eat fresh even after it's been frozen for several months. It's that good. So sweet and tender. I highly recommend it. :)

3. countryboy01974

countryboy01974 Well-Known Member

honey select is all we've grown for the last 5 years. wife won't let me grow anything else it's that good.

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I haven't grown sweet corn for a couple of years, but some of my favourites are:

Illini (for long season) was the best sweetest one I ever grew
    Seneca
    Northern Early Xtra Sweet (earliest)
    Peaches and Cream

5. dennisjp

dennisjp dennisjp

I am just on my second year of growing a garden after several years away from it and I grew silver queen this year, but I am looking for something else that grows good in Va. It was good fresh picked ealier in the summer,but it got it got tuff as leather soon after and I threw all of what I had frozzen into the compost pile after we cooked the first bag out of it.
    I will be watching this site and thanks ahead of time for the info.
    God Bless
    Dennis

6. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Txsteader;R.H.Shumway sells "Six-Shooter"sweet corn.This is becoming quite Rare.Grows 10-12 ft tall.Produces 6 full size ears per stalk.Great taste if you like taste of corn and not high sugar content.1/2 lb.is like $7 or $8.-

7. Txsteader

Txsteader Well-Known Member

Thanks, y'all. I'm taking notes for research :)

8. annie716

annie716 Well-Known Member

Bodacious (hope that's spelled right!) is our favorite, we've grown it for the past 3 years. Ears are good size, just as good frozen as fresh. :)

9. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

i prefer to plant feild corn for green corn to boil instead of sweet corn. But thats just me.