best wheat grinder

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ratherbefishin, Dec 20, 2004.

1. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

so... what are some makes of good quality wheat grinders?[I would typically grind 10 lb of flour for a batch of bread]What features would you look for, and what is a reasonable price to pay for one used, or would you spring for a new one?.

2. jwulf

jwulf Member

I just started grinding myself so I can't say I have a real educated opinion on the subject. But the last Mother Earth News had a feature article on using whole grain for cooking, and also an aritcle on choosing a grain mill with a review of a few models. It's issue #207 (Dec/Jan 2005).

If you don't have access to a magazine I can send you a copy of the review if you forward along a sase. Just email me offline.

-jwulf
    jwulf@cinci.rr.com

3. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

4. rosehaven

rosehaven Well-Known Member

We have used our WhisperMill for over two years. It comes with a Lifetime Warranty and the people who make it have wonderful customer service.

Blessings,
    april :)

5. Chuck123

Chuck123 Well-Known Member

I use my Vita-Mix, as it's an all in one tool....worth every penny. :)

6. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Magic Mill is the standard for many Mormons who grind a LOT OF FLOUR. 3/4 horse motor and grinds with stones.

Here is an Ebay item currently on sale with 16 hours left.

Magic Mill Electric Stone Wheat Grinder 3/4 HP Item number: 4344448296

7. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I bought the Country Grain Mill without the motor. I bought it because it is made from metal, so simple in design, my hubby could fix it if it ever broke, 20
    year guarantee and the fact that it grinds course to extremely fine and can crack grains for granola and cereals. All the plastic ones i investigated, only made flour and some reviews said they had problems if you added grain mid cycle.

I hope to get the motor by the summer. It is hard work, to do by hand, but it
    is good exercise. I just put some tunes on and let it go. It's does make noise, so i can't even begin to imagine what the electric ones sound like (air plane in your kitchen?).

I also bought it because it is american made. It grinds everything except nuts for nut butters and flax.

I have noticed a huge difference in the quality of my wheat bread.

8. Hermit

Hermit Active Member

9. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Diamant is another maker. It's probably more suited to someone doing lots of grinding. It weighs about 50 lbs. The flywheel is about 12" dia. and is grooved for a belt. You could probably set it up and feed bushels at a time. There's three different set of burrs available to do everything from grinding flour to cracking corn. The mill will work with either dry or oily materials.

Unfortunately I think it costs close to $700.

10. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

That's the mill I just mentioned.

11. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

12. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

We've had a Diamont for about 15 years, and it is a well built efficient mill. It can be hand cranked, or a v-belt and motor can be easily added. It should last for generations. We also have a "Magic Mill" which is electric, and smaller than the Diamont, and is in a wood case which can sit on the countertop. It was $10 or so at a garage sale a couple of years ago.
    I would recommend either of them.

Jim