Best way to shift milking time?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Meg Z, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Right now I milk between 6 and 7, morning and night. In two weeks that has to change to between 9 and 10. (School schedule)

I figure I can either:

1) gradually switch by altering the milking time a little each day

or

2) Make a quick shift by adding a 10 am milking after the regular morning milking, then going to a 9-10 schedule from that, so their udders don't get stressed out.

I think that both will be stressful, but I'm thinking the second choice will allow them to get over it quicker. What do you guys think?

We're talking three girls, Two Nubians and a Nubian cross.

Thanks much,
    Meg

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

My goats adapt really well when i have to alter my milking times. Over just a few days you could change their time and it shouldn't hurt them. Just empty their bags out good and keep the rest of their routine the same. Also, how fresh are your goats? When did they kid? Mine are more forgiving the longer they are into lactation....Diane

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Ah, I hadn't considered that. Two in early April, one end of May. That one is nursing her kids, and she really gets on the stand for 'practice' and her grain. the other two are the ones seriously being milked.

Meg

4. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. I'm going to have to switch from 7:30 am & pm to 5:30 am & pm. I am going to try to milk at 7:30 pm & then go to 5:30 am & then go into the new routine. She seems to be very adaptable. I almost wonder if I shouldn't have a third milking in there somewhere. She is very full when after 12 hours. This morning she was actually leaking milk and she had gone less than 12 hours. When we first start milking her, she is so full and hard she waddles and can't wait to get onto the stand. Oh yeah, she is a first time freshner and is giving me 4 quarts daily.

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Well, to be honest, I am having a hard time in this heat with my milking. My does are heavy milkers and kidded the first part of April. The kids (2 sets of twins) have never been completely weaned. I milk only once a day for awhile now and get about 1 and 1/2 gallons combined from the two goats with minimum pampering. Last week, I just left them with their big ol kids for three days and didn't milk at all. Then I milked again and the does had even more milk than before I pulled this stunt. Now i have figured out a way to skip milkings if need be. If I let the kids nurse periodically, every few days, the does don't push them away or wean them. The kids are over 4 months old and do so much better when they get that milk. I take meds that say "do not go in the heat" and "do not exert yourself" SAY WHAT! I am a Texas rancher! My goats put up with me. I just watch for udder health and everything seems fine.....Diane