Best Way to set a Wheel stud??

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by fordy, Nov 18, 2004.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Was fixing a flat on my welding trailer and one of the 5 lugnuts torqued up and wouldn't come off . So , I cut it off with a Torch . I need to reset a New stud . I tried pulling one thru by simply screwing a lugnut but that is Never going to get the job done . It , would probably torque up just like the last one did . I , realize that I can pull the hub off and knock it thru with a hammer , but I'd rather leave the wheel ON and set the stud if possible . Anybody got a method for accomplishing this task??? thanks , fordy.. :)

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I would be tempted to try this:

1. Place the lug stud in stud hole of the hub.

2. Place an adequate length rachet socket over the the hole where the stud will come out.

3. Remove the vise from your work bench. Place one jaw over the back side of the stud and the other jaw over the socket.

4. Turn the vise to press the stud thru the hub. (you might need to use a "helper pipe" over your vise handle to get enough torque)

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I've pulled many of them in with a lug nut and an impact gun. I do have a tool now, but is just a glamourous lug nut with a bearing . If you use a lugnot lube the threads of the stud and flip the lugnut around so the flat shoulder presses against the hub. I always like to put a good flat washer under the nut when pulling a stud in.

4. Steve in Ohio

Steve in Ohio Well-Known Member

The best way I have found is to put the stud in a freezer for a couple of hours,it will srink up a couple of thousands.....................then tap it in.
    This works for bearing races also..........................

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............Thanks to all for Your helpful suggestions . I'll get up alittle extra eneregy and remove the tire\wheel and try turning the lugnut around to the flat side and then i'll leave the stud in the freezer for a couple of days to shrink UP . , thanks , fordy..... :)