Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never actually had this problem before, because despite many years of trying, I've had zero luck in growing tomatillos before. They're a long season plant, and when I live in the desert, I only had a few good months of growing season between the last frost and the killing heat.

Now that I'm up in the mountains, I tried again. Ended up with twenty pounds or so of tomatillos. They're slightly nipped by frost, so I don't think they'll keep long fresh.

What's the best way to save them? Freeze them? Whole or diced? Or can them? Or make a "base" sauce for green chili and freeze that?

I'm not a big fan of green salsa, but I love green chili.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I'd make your base sauce for your green chili with them and test the PH and can appropriately.

Love tomatillos!
I agree with CraterCove, make the base, no meat, test the ph and can appropriately.

Other than that, clean them and process them in a food processor and then freeze to use in chili.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. These were literally a complete surprise -- I thought there were one or two ripe tomatillos, plus a bunch of large empty husks with pea sized fruit in them. The plant got nipped by a frost, so I went to yank it up (and figured I'd have the handful tomatillos in an omelet or something) and it was a LOT heavier than I expected. Underneath the plant where I couldn't see or reach was a ton of decent sized tomatillos.

Our tomato crop was almost a total bust this year -- what actually set tasted worse than store bought (even the early girls and the sweet 100s were a fail) -- and this plant was in the same bed, so I was very surprised, to say the least.

I love tomatillos in green chili. First time I've had home grown. :) :) :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Cygnet,

You said you don't care for green sauce, but have you tried Ninfa's Green Sauce? It is to die for. I could drink the stuff. I found this recipe on Homesick Texan's website. She has tons of Southwest recipes, and I haven't had one not turn out delicious yet! The only thing I do differently from her recipe is I halve the veggies and roast them with a little salt and olive oil instead of using a saucepan.

Ninfa’s Green Sauce
Ingredients:
3 medium-sized green tomatoes, coarsely chopped (you can substitute yellow if you can’t find green ones, but never use red)
4 tomatillos, cleaned and chopped
1 to 2 jalapenos, stemmed and coarsely chopped
3 small garlic cloves
3 medium-sized ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
4 sprigs cilantro
1 tsp. of salt
1 1/2 cups of sour cream

Method:
Combine chopped tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapenos and garlic in a saucepan. Bring to a boil (tomatoes provide the liquid), reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Place tomato mixture with the avocados, cilantro and salt in food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into a bowl and stir in sour cream.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts