Best way to mend jeans?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Oct 1, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I foolishly decided to move the refrigerator while wearing my good jeans.

And while pulling on the refrigerator with all my might and my full weight behind the pull, something came loose, causing my to fly through the air backward and land on my hiney on the vacuum cleaner.

:rolleyes:

The good news is, I'm alive. :D The bad news is, the way I hit the vacuum caused me to rip a hole in the derriere (!) of My Good Jeans. :waa:

I've never had to mend jeans before because usually, by the time they get holes, they're so beat up anyway, a few more holes won't matter.

But these are fairly new jeans, only about six months old --- and my dress jeans to boot. So i'd like to mend them properly.

Anyone have hints on the best way to go about it?

2. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Dh uses duct tape but since these are your good jeans...

The best way if the hole is small enough is patch from the inside and cover the outside with a cute sew on patch. Since it is on your bum people will be unlikely to comment on it (or maybe they would but it's a great way to make new friends :D )

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Hehe! :D

:haha:

Thanks! :)

4. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I use permatex form a gasket and a scrap denim patch glued on the inside or het hem tape to glue the ripped flap or thining area down. The silicone glue keeps the frayed edges in place on the outside.

5. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

I generally mend jeans (and lots of other stuff) by darning them on the sewing machine. If the hole is big enough, I'll back it with another piece of denim; otherwise, I just set the machine up properly, use a hoop around the hole to keep the fabric nice and taut, and fill in. If it's a tear, I can hold the edges together with my fingers or a stiletto and baste the length before filling in.

Thread comes in lots of colors and I've even managed to match really worn denim with a silvery gray -- you know, for those comfy jeans you just can't bear to part with. The bad news is that while the denim will fade, the mending thread won't.

I learned to darn on the machine many, many years ago to mend the corners of cloth diapers, where they wear out first while the rest is perfectly good! It's a good skill for machine embroidery and machine quilting, too, as once you have the feel for it, they all work about the same.

6. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) As mentioned already there are some really cute ready-made patches that would be fun to use. Or if you want to make your own there is great fusible web available. You can design your own, fuse it in place with your iron, and satin stitch it down. I ripped up a pair of my good Jeans too, dodging back and forth through barbed wire corraling cows..!!##%%#!@@@critters!!! LOL I not only made some cute patches out of red bandana fabric(cut them out in horse head and bucking bronco shapes)but put one on my white western shirt pocket too so they would look like a matched set.

I saw a denim patch the other day that said "OUCH" on it! LOL :haha:

LQ

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Unless you want to call attention to your backside, you can scatter appliques all over the jeans. I would think do them in denim with decorative stitching. I did this for my friend who tore her favorite new jeans. By putting extra appliques around it kept attention away from the actual area of the tear and looked really cute.

8. Sarah K.

Sarah K. Well-Known Member

I would add that if you want to use some kind of decorative patch that isn't denim or something similarly tough, put a denim patch on the inside. I had a really cool pair of jeans that I had patched with all different sorts of plaid fabric, but the lighter-duty fabric wore through almost as fast as I could patch it!

9. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................You...mean you haven't heard of the NEW Glue that Shreck is selling from his Home.....Waaaaaaaaal....(as Festus use to say)...It's called..."Worm Sperm"...and it'll stick anything to anything.....fordy... :eek: :)

10. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

fordy,
    It might work. I have used puree'd worms as a protein bonding agent when mixing papercrete and adobe brickwork when I didnt have enough eggwhite to mix with the lime. but had an extra few hundred pounds of worms. Worm blood and fluids are as good as chicken blood as a protein bond :)

11. dla

dla Well-Known Member

You guys!
    What sillies.
    Okay, one more suggestion: (tried and true)
    cover the rip from the back with an iron on patch. They work best with smoothly curved corners.
    Then do as Marcia suggested and darn them in the front. You will probably want to use Fray-check or a similar adhesive (no offense to the worm-blood contingent :rolleyes: ) to keep the fabric from raveling.
    If some of the "under" threads show through white, just draw on them w/ a permanent marker.
    The patch won't last quite as long as if you covered the hole, but at least you wont have a neon sign following "behind" you until you wear them out enough for them not to be your "good" jeans.

A pair of jeans that really fits is a joy forever...