Best Way to Load a Hog?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fin29, Mar 15, 2004.

1. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

We're picking up a 200 pound hog on Sunday. The problem is how to load her. The truck bed is about 3' off the ground, so we'll either need a very long or very steep ramp. How do I construct one on the cheap? I have some plywood scraps, barn boards, pallets, etc.-plenty of wood. How steep a ramp can she negotiate easily? How high do the sides of the ramp need to be to prevent her from jumping?
    Any help you can give would be appreciated.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I suggest a different means of loading the hog. Erect a long narrow "cage" using your materials on hand. Have a substantial base with solid flooring and erect the sides, top and ends from slatted material. Have one end detachable and get the hog inside the "cage" and secure the end. Then load the "cage" and hog onto the truck. This will be much safer for you and the hog.

3. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

How do I get the crate into the truck? Lift it? I'm 5'7" and 125 lbs. soaking wet.
    We have a crate in the back of the truck already, big enough to contain her but not let her turn around. But lifting her in is not an option.

4. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

My place came with an old hog pen and had a loading ramp. It was a solid floor ramp with slatted sided that came up to the height of the tailgate of a truck. I imagine they ran the hog through the chute right up into the truck.

It's all falling down now - but could tell that is what they used it for.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

you will not manhandle (womanhandle) a 200 hog without getting hurt. Getting it into the cage may be a problem if it is not hungry. As for the cage you have, you need to ramp it and the hog into the truck with either human power, a come along, tractor, winch, etc. Remember you will also have to unload it. :)

6. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Fin, if you are picking the hog up from a breeder, chances are they are already set up with a loading shute. You might give them a call and check?
    A hog will try to jump over or go through anything they can see through. In other words, if they can see through a small hole, they think they can fit through it.
    I'd make the sides solid, (plywood). Also, I've loaded hogs on plywood ramps when nothing else was available.
    Good luck to you, hope you take pictures to share with us. :D

7. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Think outside the box. Borrow a horse trailer and entice her into it with some treats, each placed a little further into the trailer.

Ken S. in WC TN

8. Ducks limited

Ducks limited Member

Do you have any used 2X6's or 2X8's? You need a ramp no more than 24 " wide and you must put cleats on it so the gilt will not slip. If they slip once you are in for a lot of trouble because they will not try again. Two hog panels, one on each side, wired across the 2 by's and supported at the top will make a satisfactory ramp. Also, some straw or hay scattered on the ramp along with some treat (ear of corn, slices of apple, etc) will give them a sense of security. It is so much easier if she will walk up into your truck. Ramp needs to be 6 feet long minimum. Plywood needs to be braced for a 200 pounder. even 3/4" will sag with that much weight.
    Do you have a stock rack or sides on your truck? You will need something at least 4 feet above the floor of the bed or she may try to go over. Put something on the floor if it is slick to give some footing. She needs to have good footing if you are taking her to butcher so the meat will not be bruised, and if she is for raising pigs she doesn't need to be slipping on the trip home.
    Good Luck! It can be as easy as pie or an experience from hell. Try not to get excited and you will have much better luck. Hope whomever has been feeding her will be there for the loading. Dave

9. puffdog

puffdog Active Member

do what the Korean people did when I was there get her drunk first. :haha:

Really beg borrow or steal a stock trailer really really hard to load on a pickup trust me i have done it to many times.

10. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Well the only thing I can offer from past experience is... bring a video camera!

11. mizattitude

mizattitude Well-Known Member

You can load it into a small pickup...I put my 270 pounder in the back of my ford Explorer.
    A ramp..and entice it with anything sweet..they will go up. Just be careful..cause they are very ungainly creatures..if they fall off..you don't want to be in the way. You will want to make sides, so it feels more secure. i don't think pigs like heights. They tend to slip..so either make it long (not steep) or place some rubber on it to provide traction.

12. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Well, I think we solved the problem: a 4x6' enclosed trailer from U-Haul for $10 for the weekend. I think that sometimes, it's just worth it to spend a little extra cash...just a little. :eek: I did print out the advice you all gave for our files. Thanks.

13. swamptiger

swamptiger Active Member

14. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Thanks, swamp, though I'm starting to wonder why everyone's telling me to bring cameras and using that toothy-grinned smilie in all their posts... :haha:

15. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

We used to have a 1000 head feeder to finish hog operation. I have moved a few hogs in my life. My best advice is don't rush her and don't act like you want her to go in the trailer. Hogs are very smart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They will go were you don't want them to go. Take your time and let her find her way. As long as she thinks it is her idea, she will go without a problem. I agree with the others. Take a camera. I wish we would have had a camera serveral different times as some amazing wrecks have happened :haha: :D

16. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

yeah - but how about the next guy who wants to rent the u-haul - he might be transporting linens and furs

17. soapmakermom

soapmakermom Well-Known Member

I concur with the advice to not be nervous. Take it easy and slow. Hogs can sense excitement, nervousness and fear. They WON'T be manhandled. We got to the point we would just send out our boys to load pigs, they could do it much easier because they just took their time and did not try to force the them. I would make a secure skinny ramp, so they can't turn around. They can jump over hog panels if they are fearful. I had to laugh over the repeated advice to bring a camcorder - I wish I would have recorded some of our adventures with pigs!
    Mary

18. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Well, if he's dumb enough to be transporting them unwrapped on the floor in the back of a U-Haul, he deserves what he gets, now, doesn't he. :haha:

19. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I am more and more convinced that we better build a ramped feed bunk for our pigs so they will expect food at the top of a ramp and walk right up.

20. horselogger

horselogger Well-Known Member

the easiest,by far,way to load a hog is in one pond ,frozen packages. Wasn't this helpful?