Best way to lite brush pile

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by John_Yurich, Mar 23, 2010.

1. John_Yurich

John_Yurich Active Member

What's the best way to get some good size brush piles started? I've heard diesel or kerosene and fuel pellets. :flame:

2. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Match. Just one, maybe more if it's really windy. If it's good and dry all you have to do is get one little branch or some dried leaves started. Or stuff some newspapers under the pile and light those.

3. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

Just make a little hollow in the windward side of the brush pile and stuff in your newspaper, leaves etc and some diesel and things should go from there. Good luck. Chris

4. lmrose

lmrose Well-Known Member

My husband has burned brush piles and areas of dead grass. He just lights some leaves and twigs by the edge of the pile and it burns. Dead grass that is dry he just lights it with a match and away it goes! The most important thing is not to burn when the wind is blowing that could cause the fire to get out of hand whether brush pile or dead grass. Especially dead grass he burns after 5:eek:o pm when the air is damp and he only burns when there is no wind. He burns small areas he can control. Larger areas require more than one person to tend the fire.

Here in Nova Scotia there have been over 40 fires all started by people trying to burn grass or brush piles this Feb and March. Some municipalities have banned fires now. All burning has to be done by April 1st regardless. After that a permit is required. Some people don't realize how easy a fire can spread out of control especially if there is wind. When the fire gets out of hand people panic and call the fire department which here consists of volunteers. So far this year they have been run ragged! If a fire was deliberately set the person who set it might get a bill in the mail from the fire department for their services!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Now I didn't tell you this :gaptooth: But take throw a few Old Tires on it soak it with a mix of Diesel and Gas. Light it up should burn :nanner:

big rockpile

6. Toads tool

Toads tool Well-Known Member

Yep, you're from Missouri.:heh:

You forgot to add the old VW engine once things get going good.

7. meanwhile

meanwhile Well-Known Member Supporter

First, have a 12 year old and a 17 year old ready with Home-made bow & arrows. They will stab a wadded up piece of newspaper on the end of the arrow and have it and a lighter (or matches) ready. Make them stand as far away from the brush pile as possible and yet still be able to shoot the arrow into the pile. Since they will have practiced the whole week before, they know exactly where to stand.

Next, Pour as much gas on the pile as you can. Try and pour it all over the place and toss it in the middle of the pile too. Be sure the kids know to WAIT till you are out of the way.....

Then, have the kids fire up the paper on the end of the arrow and SHOOT!

There you have it! Burn pile all fired up..........

Just in case we always have water hoses at the ready...........and, no....we are not from Missouri.......

8. chestnut

chestnut Well-Known Member

News paper and dry sticks. Once burning, used motor oil gets it burning good.

9. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

Any type of the ones that are listed here will make it burn. If it is green wood or even this year cut down you will need to have a source of fuel to get it burning good. If it is well seasoned and dry you can use a match but if it is not really dry you will need either some diesel or other fuel (not gasoline). I usually use diesel but have used kerosene or the fuel bar to get it burning good.You don't have to light the whole thing but a small patch on the windward side and let it spread. Half a gallon of diesel fuel will burn most anything.

10. Callieslamb

Callieslamb Well-Known Member

DO NOT. Do NOT...throw gasoline on the pile with the gas container in one hand and the lit match in the other......DO NOT.

DO NOT - use one of those gas torches...you have to get WAY too close for that.

After those two tried, I stopped being in charge of burning brush piles.

11. springvalley

springvalley Family Jersey Dairy Supporter

Rockpile, we use to do that around here to, but you can`t do it anymore. But they sure did make for a nice burn. Thanks Marc

12. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I stuff dry feed bags under a pile of closely packed small twigs and light that. Usually one match is all it needs. The tighter the pile the better it burns because the heat reflects from one burning twig to the other and seems to magnify it.

13. John_Yurich

John_Yurich Active Member

Thanks for all the responses thus far. Like the bow and arrow idea.

14. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

Put an old couch on top, and let 'er rip! aka the 'burniture' method :)

And when it's going good, take a tractor and push an old dead pick up truck into the inferno. :run:

Actually, that's the party method. The cleaning up at home method just involves good dried out stuff pushed into the middle of the field in the spring before plowing, a non-windy day or evening, some old newspaper and a match, as was suggested by several posters above.

15. watcher

watcher de oppresso liber

Big Rock is wrong, you only need one tire. Put about a quart of gas in it, put it as deep as possible in the windward side of the pile then toss a lit road flare in it.

16. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Sheesh! this must be a guy thing. The bigger & hotter the better. (no pun intended)

You want a CONTROLED BURN - no matter how large. If you toss gas or other flamable you won't have that. Juat do what was said - some newspapers and a match. And do it on a NO WIND day.

17. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Well I know someone the other day just had one tire and it just burnt a hole in the brush pile.But it was green.

big rockpile

18. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Build the brush pile on a LAYER (or two or three) of tires. Then after dark douse it with a few gallons of gas then pour a line of gas away from the pile to a protected spot then light the line.:bouncy:

19. Michael Kawalek

Michael Kawalek Well-Known Member

Our burning season here is short because fire danger goes up quickly in California. It is a catch-22, because you are only allowed to start fires when it is too wet for anything to burn.

I can successfully start fires if I plastic tarp over a section of a pile in the fall and protect that section from rain all winter. I'll harvest all the light twiggy matterial that's up toward the top of the pile, and nestle that down low on the windward side with some newspaper. Sometimes though I just have to use enough newpaper to dry the wet wood to the point that it will light. Once the stuff greater than 1" is on fire, the pile will generate enough of it's own heat to dry the rest of the debris to the kindling point.

Gasoline by itself is too dangerous for starting fires, but a blend of old gasoline and diesel with maybe some used motor oil is a good way to dispose of old fuel. I pour a little on the big stuff and let it soak in before lighting. Pour a little bit into a trail away from the pile so it doesn't go woosh right in your face.

20. salmonslayer

salmonslayer Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh yeah!!