Best way to get rid of paper wasps' nest?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by snoozy, Jul 17, 2004.

1. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

We've got a paper wasps' nest right in the eaves over our deck. It is about the size of a LARGE cantalope. What is the best way to get rid of it? Smoke 'em out? Chlorine & ammonia fumes? Duct tape?

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

The other day, I found a couple of wasps making one of these in my newfangled composting/potting shed (attached to raised bed and grape arbor :D ) and literally took the pair of scissors in my hand and cut one of the wasps in half - ! - whopped the other wasp with a plastic pot and knocked the nest down to stomp on.

Found another one a day or so ago --- I put a high powered stream of water from the hose on it (to chase the wasps out), then knocked it down with a hoe and ... stomped on it.

If it were me in your shoes, I'd get the water after them then knock it down and stomp on it.

Unless of course you're allergic to wasps, in which case you probably want to make someone else do it. :)

3. Anataq

Anataq Well-Known Member

Wrap news paper around the top of a pole, and fasten with string, or tape, light on fire and hold up to the nest. Every wasp will drop straight to the ground. Stand back! The heat from the smoke? flame will kill them all and there is no need to light the nest on fire, or danger catching your home on fire.

-Ryan
    www.pawcreekhomestead.com

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I just dump rubbing alcohol on em. Kills everything 'cept me. :yeeha:

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Take a 12 gauge shotgun, and back off about 20 feet then blast that sucker right off the house. If it didn't kill all the bees, just run like a turpenined dog!

6. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Why not just get some Ortho wasp killer spray and soak the nest? If you don't want to do that, or shoot 'em or burn 'em, then put a pan of gasoline directly below the nest, within 3 or 4 feet of it. (You might have to put it on a ladder). The fumes should kill them all within 24 hours.

7. Just get a can of the hot-shot spray that will spray out for several feet, spray and be finished with it.

8. Dances In Woods

Dances In Woods Well-Known Member

Get that kind of wasp spray that you can spray 20 ft away. But first pull up on your 4-wheeler like hubby does stop briefly spray like crazy then peel out on that 4 wheeler to safety or you could do it in your truck too.(I've done that) :D

9. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I think Uncle Will's got the right idea.

SHOOT 'EM AND RUN! :)

10. Timber

Timber Well-Known Member

Hmmm they grab hold of flies and caterpillars to feed their larvae.
    Like Uncle Will's idea. Also they could be entertainment, hammer a small headed nail in your house siding then paint the head black. If you have the wasp that has a fly diet they will land on it.

Timber

11. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

We also use the wasp and hornet spray that you can spray from a distance.
    Works. I've only this year figured out that if I discover those nests when they first start building them, I can just knock it down and squash it while they're away.
    mary

12. torade

torade Well-Known Member

Tell them they can move in over here.
    Paper wasps aren't aggressive and keep the fly population down.

13. snoozy

They eat flies and caterpillars??!! Then they are my friends! It's just that we like to sleep out up on the deck on hot summer nights...you sure they won't sting us?

14. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

The wasp spray works good . I hit 'em at night ( I Heard that they don't come out at night ).
    Next morn I knocked it down with a rake and burnt it.

15. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Not necessarily! My sister was stung by one last year --- the sting transmitted either a staph or a strep --- I think a staph infection. She ended up in the emergency room and was put on some heavy duty antibiotics.

I consider them okay, as long as they're not in my space. :yeeha:

16. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) The Vespids are a deverse group and the paper wasp is one of the gentlest members. They are helpful predators and it's good to have them around.

However, if there is a nest being constructed in a place where someone who is allergic to the sting of any insect in this family, then it has to go.

Don't make this a big deal. It isn't. Just pick up the Hornet spray and get it done.

These gentle wasps can be dealt with in the daytime(something NOT recommended for HORNETS or YELLOWJACKETS! So, be sure of your ID!!!).

Spray the nest down throughly..wait for a bit..take a rake or whatever and knock it down into a bag..dispose.

Good grief! You'd think we're talking about getting rid of a pack of Velociraptors! :haha: LOL

LQ

17. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

The only time I recall getting stung by a wasp of any kind was when I inadvertantly stuck my hand right in a nest. lol. Oh, and once I stepped on one.
    I **** them away if they bother me. My eldest son, however, will get stung if he gets anywhere near the vicinity of a wasp, just minding his own business.
    mary

18. Spray the nest with a can of ether or starting fluid. It is cheaper then wasp spray, shoots almost as far and kills the wasps instantly, unlike the bug spray. Also one can lasts far longer because you don't need as much and can be used in the winter on your stubborn motors.

19. snoozy

Upon closer inspection, they seem to be yellowjackets. They are yellow and black striped. Do yellowjackets have a purpose in this world?

20. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Stinging people and being scary.

They eat some bugs, I think, but you'd be better off with a bunch of frogs and toads --- they eat more bugs and they're cute! :yeeha: