Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 7.5 month old Boer doe. We separated her from a young buck about a month ago. He is even younger than her (but I can't recall now exactly how young).

My daughter called me at work today to say that the young doe has milk in her bag (she actually milked her) and looks pregnant to her. I find this hard to believe.

Is there any simple and surefire way to tell if this goat is pregnant??

·
Registered
481 Posts
IF she has an udder and milk, she is most likely pregnant. There are cases of bagging up without pregancy, but the odds are much lower.

You can 'bounce' her by feeling in front of her udder - it takes some practice, but you can either see or feel the baby with experience!

Bucks can breed at a very young age....so it seems to me that she probably is about a month out from delivery if she is pregnant (in heat at about 3 months +5 months gestation).

Andrea

·
Registered
641 Posts
Goats can breed very young. Your buck would have been able to breed as early as 2-3 months and your doe at 3-4 months. First timers can bag up as early as 1 month before delivering. Look for stringy mucous from 1-10 days before that turns an amber color right before delivery. I can almost always feel the uterus on the right side. Usually, when you push in on the right side of doe, you'll feel nothing. I place my hand on the dipped in space on the right side of the doe...behind her ribs and below her spine. Push way in and if your hand bumps something firm that has some give to it and when you pull away slightly, it sort of goes back to its starting position, you have found the uterus, which you would never normally be able to feel. You may or may not feel movement. This I've learned just from feeling lots of goat bellies. Everyone has a method that they like. I've found, at the 3 month gestation mark, I can usually tell this way, if they are pregnant or not. I'd prepare for babies if I were you!! Good luck to you!!

·
Kathy in S. Carolina
372 Posts
Ha! My goat fooled me! I thought for the past month and a half that she was definitely pregnant. Isolated her from the other goats, as they're always butting each other, and didn't want her hurt. Also, I didn't want her to kid with our 2 great pyrenees in the same area as her. Well, she was in a smaller pen without much room to exercise. She was fed increasing amounts of grain in her 'last month' of pregnancy. She had 3 different due dates. June 15, June 27 and July 3. Needless to say, she is now back "home" with the other goats. She's not pregnant...just fat!
- Kathy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts