Best way to deal with leaning shed full of junk

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I have a shed on my new place that is not worth saving. It leans, has large holes in it and is filled with junk. Mostly clothes and household items, but some windows and glass as well.

I can burn it all, but I don't want a big mess of half-burned crap and glass everywhere. Do you think it's eaiser to burn first and then pick the junk out of the ashes, or dump what I can out of there, then have my bon fire?

There is SO much junk here, furniture, clothes, rugs, appliances, farm chemicals, motors, windows, doors...you name it, I got it. I am getting a dumpster to start pitching the non-burnable into, but what a freaking mess.

Why the heck do people do this....collect all this crap, then just move out. Dirty rats, they are!

Jena

2. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

You know the saying, "one man's trash is another's treasure"-I'd enjoy looking through sheds like that. Be sure it's nothing in there that someone would want....

Best way to deal with it-see if anything at all is wanted by anyone-sell online if anything is any good-stuff doesn't have to work to be worth something-for example, I collect lamps, among other things, and when dealing with variopus lamps, oil, gas, carbide, etc., parts pieces-junk lamps good for a few parts or so are wonderful to have-so watch what you toss.

3. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

My sister had a condemned house on her property. She and her husband hired a guy with a bulldozer and he dug a hole and broke up the shed and put it in the hole.

But if you go that route, remove toxic stuff first, and anything you can sell - if you're lucky, you'll make enough to pay for the dozer. :)

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

The realtor who sold us this place had the old barn bulldozed and buried into a hole. Now all the wood is rotting and the hole is caving in...like a huge sinkhole. Luckily, it's mostly on our neighbor's property (he bought 35 acres of the original farm) so we don't have to deal with it, but when we were building OUR barn we moved it farther from the sinkhole since we had no idea how big a hole they used to bury the barn.

Since you have to go through it anyway to clean out toxins, chemicals, batteries, etc. than can't (shouldn't) be burned, you might as well sort all the junk out and have a big yard sale. Bet you can make a few bucks off all that junk. Then salvage the usable wood, etc. from the shed.

I'm just to much of a packrat to put a match to something like that.

Here's a little incentive for you...couple weeks ago I was at my Granny's mobile home getting out anything salvagable (Granny died eight years ago and her clothies still hang in the closets). I found several pill bottles with buttons in them. My Daddy said to toss them, but I told him I'd like to have them as I like old buttons.

Inside one pill bottle was a couple pieces of jewelry. Turns out those big "diamonds" in them are real...three large diamonds and a smaller one in the smaller piece of jewelry.

And Daddy was going to throw them in the trash!

5. silentcrow

silentcrow Furry Without A Clue

I sure wish I was closer, I'd help ya clean it out!:) I love rummaging thru other peoples "junk", there's always something useful. Even all the junk my grandad saved has useful things. Quite often people who save(d) what seems like everything, grew up during the depression. Anything that might have a use at some time was saved. I even found a huge bag of used, but washed, plastic silverware in the attic!

6. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

I wouldnt just burn it without looking through it all, in case of some explosive stuff or toxic stuff being in there.

7. 9Pines

9Pines Well-Known Member

If you know an Auctioneer , ask them to stop by and take a look. They can tell you if anything is worth anything in that shed. You could just load it up and bring it to a local consignment auction. Or go in with another auction that has fewer things on it. A good trailer full may bring you a nice chunk of money. :)

We have a sales barn that has an ajacent parking lot they do an auction on before the sales barn starts later in the day. This is on every Thursday. These auctions are a good place to bring stacks of wood, those old doors, dishes ect. You'd be surprised on what will sell.

8. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Shygal, you got that right! Nothing like a few bullets to ruin a burn party. Or like my brother, throw in a package of firecrackers and sit back and laugh!

You can add me to the list of those who would like to clean out your shed. I've seen some neat room dividers made of old doors, or potting shelves made from them too.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/junk/ Check out this website for ideas on what somepeople may be looking for.

9. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

A scrap dealer will at least haul away any metal items, might even give you a few bucks for it.

10. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

years ago, whem i was about 14, up in Iowa, a house was burned down to make way for cattle. Upom the start of the fir, all the nieghbors weere around to watch. after about 20 or 30 minutes the house EXPLODED

11. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

years ago, whem i was about 14, up in Iowa, a house was burned down to make way for cattle. Upom the start of the fir, all the nieghbors weere around to watch. after about 20 or 30 minutes the house EXPLODED! uPON EXAMINATION BY THE FIRE DEPT. , IT WAS DISCOVERED THAT THEIR WAS ABOUT 2 CASES OF OLD DYNAMITE IN THE LOWER LEVEL.

Be careful what you do, heck, i burned an old couch for a buddy in my "hole" and within minutes shots were bein fired all over the place. After we come out of the tornado shelter (!) we found a few 12 ga shotgun and .22 casings in the ash.

LOOK before you burn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

All junk pickers are welcome. You just have to take a bag of trash for every "collectible" you take! Trash includes the hundreds and I mean HUNDREDS of empty plastic milk jugs. Stuffed a part of the shed, floor to ceiling with them...why?

I thought of auctioneers, but only in the sense of them doing one there and there's not *that* much junk, but I forgot about the consignment auctions they have every week.

I have found three old glass insulators and an old salt thing. I forget what they are called...square dish that you put salt in. There are a few odds and ends of "collectibles", but mostly it's all the old guys ex-wife's stuff. Looks like he threw it all out there and she never came back for it. Clothes, clothes and more clothes. Books...nothing valuable...racing forums from 1970. Those funky 70's drinking cups with the clear plastic over basket weave material...know what I mean? Some of you may deem these things collectible, but since I can actually remember when they were common, it ain't a collectible to me :)

My daughter wants the window glass to break up to make mosaics. It's not old glass..no bubbles and all that. There a toilet. Anybody need a stool? An old, old ice chest...made of metal with a handle that holds it closed. Looks like it should say "coke" on it, but doesn't. Electric razors...yuck. A huge stroller..more like a real pram.

There is a closet full of old lamps, but I haven't even got to that yet.

How about the old dial phone? My kids thought that was pretty cool as they have never really had a dial phone before. My son managed to rig a giant sling shot out of the clothes line and kept himself entertained shooting things all over the yard <sigh>.

I just don't have the time or energy to deal with all this, but maybe I can at least load up the sort of valuable looking stuff and haul it to the auction house. I do hate to throw it away, but not as much as I hate it sitting in the back yard.

I did get a guy to agree to pick up the appliances...two freezers, two fridges and a washer and dryer. The washer and dryer fell apart on the way up the stairs...hope he takes them. We had to get them out of the basement...which we did today. I'm going to try to swap the couch and chair for a waterbed with the re-sell man. They are in the house and were used so not too bad of shape, just 70's decor.

Jena

13. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Jenna, a true homesteader wouldn't have to ask why one would collect many empty plastic milk jugs :) Let's see, I have about fifty for pressing apple cider in the fall, about fifty for collecting sap to make maple syrup, probably another fifty for starting seedlings in the spring, etc, etc.

What other "junk" ya got :confused:

14. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Hey, I didn't ask what the whiskey bottles were for :haha:

Jena

15. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Homesteading is deciding to collect 300 empty gallon containers.

Jena has inherited someone elses 300 containers, plus maybe 20 to 50 dollars tops worth of "goodies".

When we bought our Homestead, we had 1000 dollars withheld, to cover the cost of getting the "treasures" to the dump. We're talking (just for a mention) dozens of appliances, at a home where a generator was the only form of electricity.

The previous owner took care of all of the arrangements, and then she received her remaining funds.

16. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Dang, you didn't happen to have a rheostat for a 1985 GE electric range amongst those did you? Too much stuff being thrown away these days. If it aint purty and new, take it to the dump :waa:

17. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a good darned chance. They have started a new appliance graveyard. Do you want me to check for you?

18. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Hey, I might be interested in the salt dish. How much do you want for it?

You mentioned about farm chemicals. DO NOT throw them in the dumpster or pour them out on the ground. Check with your Agricultural office to see if they have "Chemical Days", where you can bring in old chemicals (even if there is no name on it), and they take it and dispose of it properly. At least around here they did that 10 or so years ago when I worked at a greenhouse. Some of that stuff is BAD and stuff you don't want to mess with!

Those plastic milk bottles you can probably take to your local recycling center and have them recycled (if you have a center close by).

Sure sounds like this guy lived through the depression. Good luck in your "treasure" hunt!

19. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

I bet that metal cooler will get you at least $20.00 on ebay.

I'd cut the bottoms out of the milk jugs and use them for hotcaps in the garden. I usually poke a couple small holes in them and use bamboo skewers to stake them in place, so the wind doesn't take them.

You said motors. Did you mean electric motors, or did you mean car engines? Around here we have a guy that comes around and picks up car part. He sells them to the metal recycler. Ask at your local garage if there is somebody near you doing this.

There is a way to get rid of or use everything.

20. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

There are parts to electric motors. Haven't found any old car parts yet.

I called on a dumpster. No-nos include burned waste, so if I burn the thing, I can't pick up the junk and throw it in the dumpster. No yard waste, no tires, no medical and no liquids. That would take care of the gazillions of empty or solidified toxic waste stuff. As long as it's not flowing, I can throw it in the dumpster.

I have a way to get rid of the liquid stuff. Batteries can go to AutoZone.

It costs $375 for a 20 yard dumpster, $300 for a 10 yard. I'm afraid the 10 yard won't be big enough. Of course I can burn some of the easy to burn junk.

Now I'll get the dumpster, go out the next day and the thing will be filled from other jerks throwing their crud in there. Guess I'll have to hide it.