Best way to cut through vinyl siding?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by PACrofter, Oct 22, 2005.

1. PACrofter

PACrofter Well-Known Member

I have a vinyl-sided outbuilding that I'm converting to a chicken house. I cut out a small door for the chickens to get into the yard through the vinyl siding with a circular saw, but the cuts were not neat; instead, chunks went flying off as the saw blade went through it, leaving a very ragged-looking chicken door.

I'm thinking that using a saw blade with smaller teeth might help, or maybe using a sawz-all or jigsaw would make neater cuts. But there's probably a better solution out there. Any thoughts?

2. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Yup,

Try using a pair of tinsnips. That will leave to a nice clean cut. If you must use a saw, the more teeth the better the cut. Also when you have your doorway cut out to your satisfaction bear in mind that the edges of the siding are usually captured by "J" moulding. Try Home Depot for the stuff or go to a siding supplier.

bearkiller

3. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Turn the sawblade around backwards from its normal rotation....this works great for cutting metal roofing as well...wear ear and eye protection....the cuts will come out very smooth with no pieces flying about....it will trash the sawblde so use a cheapie....

4. copperhead51

copperhead51 Well-Known Member

I've tried the power saw blade backwards on metal... don't like it. I use a plywood blade for vinyl siding. It does a good job.

5. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Most people in the siding installing business use the blade installed backwards.

Personally I prefer to cut it manual with a handsaw. Actually works quite well and is pretty fast, smooth cuts and you have great control. The bonus is you can do all the cuts up in the air on a ladder or staging very efficiently. Hang the saw off your belt.

6. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

An HSS(high speed steel) hollow ground plywood blade on a radial arm saw works awsome.The kind of blade that has lots of fine teeth. Not carbide tipped. You want the hollow ground blade because it has no set. A blade with set will chip the vinal badly. I own a sharpening shop. I talk to contractors every day, and I installed vinal on my house.

7. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I generally just use a nice pair of snips I have. When we were doing a lot of vinyl siding we had a contraption that looked a lot like a paper cutter. Had a big long blade on a sturdy base. Cut much better than the radial arm saw that we had been using. One thing I liked about it was that it was more or less silent so I didn't have to wear hearing protection. The saw was a noisy critter.

8. longrider

longrider Southern Gent

i use to install vinyl siding for a living and the manufacturers demand that we use a simple plywood skil saw blade TURNed BACKwards to cut everything. that and a simply box cutter razor knife will do everything. but that is just my experience- you may find something better.