Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just got a great deal on feral pork so now have about 50 pounds of meat and dont know how to cook it. I do know it has to be cooked all the way through and I roasted a tenderloin last night, taste is fantastic, nice and moist but a bit more effort to chew than I am use to. I guess being use to the kind of pork that never got a chance to run round a bit I'm not use to pork with mussels lol

Anyway, what I am asking is whats your favorite way to cook feral pork?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
You cook it just like you would cook pork out of the store... it's the same critter.

Hope you didn't pay too much for it... around here, anyone that 'asks' around, will have hogs delivered to them. I reckon if a person wasn't into butchering a hog, could 'pay' something for that.

I "finally" found some hog sign Sunday evening... there shall be some fresh pork in the freezer, hopefully soon now. I'd rather 'collect' my own. Otherwise, I'd have to ask my uncle to deliver a few from his gatherings...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
All my neighbors hunt wild hogs so we are never short of pork products. We tend to smoke most of it but it also makes the BEST sausage!

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hope you didn't pay too much for it... QUOTE]

It was twenty for the hog and twenty to clean and quarter it although he did more than quarter it for me, he cut it into the cuts they use for themselves so it was easy for me to sort out when we got home :goodjob: I have no idea if its a good price or not but I am happy with it and plan to get more when we get a deep freeze.

He said he trapps hogs year round, selling about 70 a month and we saw his pen full, they looked nice and healthy and the kids (and I) were impressed with the way they wanted to eat us through the wire of the pen, wow, wouldnt want to fall in there lol

Having just made the big jump back across the pond - wheeeeeeee, made it back to sunshine at last :bouncy: - I'm not ready for hunting yet (sigh, maybe next year) but am thrilled to finally be getting my hands on some meat that isnt store bought :happy: but just wanted to be sure I wasnt missing a trick when cooking it.

Thanks guys :goodjob:

Now if I could just line up some squirel, hubby having vetoed my live trap idea for the back yard :rolleyes:

·
Registered
647 Posts
*sniff* i want some wild hog - anyone want to drop some off up here in frozen Michigan?

All the time I've spent in the woods, I've never seen a wild hog yet.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
*sniff* i want some wild hog - anyone want to drop some off up here in frozen Michigan?

All the time I've spent in the woods, I've never seen a wild hog yet.
Hey the hogs don't want to be where you are either thats why they stay where it's warmer....

frozen here in NYS too

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
Hey the hogs don't want to be where you are either thats why they stay where it's warmer....
It's plenty warm here but I don't think we have a feral hog population, at least not that I've heard.

All this talk of feral hog makes me want to plan a trip with a lot of freezer space...

·
Registered
629 Posts
MariaAZ I think y'all have havelinas out there instead.
We cook our wild hog just any way you would store-bought, plus my DH makes some great summer sausage!!

·
Banned
782 Posts
poke holes in it and stuff garlic cloves in it, rub the outside with whatever seasoning, wrap it up in foil and slow cook it in the oven for a few hours, till the bones pull loose.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
If you want the meat more tender slow cook it. IF the heast says 350 go 300 and just add a several more minutes to the cooking time.

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
I did a pork shoulder in the smoker last week.
I used charcoal and some pieces of Cherry, and the temp never got above about 225. Most of the time it was closer to 170
I cooked it for 7 hours, and when I went to lift it off the grill, all the meat fell off the bones
My 84 year old neighbor ate with us and said it was the most tender piece of pork he's ever eaten
The Cherry gives it a really sweet flavor

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
With fire! Any caveman can do it!
Gieco

Sorry it just had to come out! Way too much TV Lol

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Hi GBov,
I'll bet a pressure cooker would make it nice and tender.

Welcome back to Florida, neighbor!
SBJ

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi GBov,
I'll bet a pressure cooker would make it nice and tender.

Welcome back to Florida, neighbor!
SBJ
Thanks SBJ, I am LOVIN being home :bouncy:

Just sitting at the computer looking out at the lizzards running around in the sunshine makes me feel young again lol

I cooked a boned out leg last night but we had to go out so it cooked that little bit too long and is a bit dry, my fault :eek: not the pork's lol but I cant fault it for tenderness and the flavor, WOW thats good!

My brothers say its so typical that we are not even two weeks home and already I have beach combed a meal - pen shells, oooooooo yes, well worth the time to find those bad boys - and have a freezer full of wild pork lol

Thanks for all your suggestions on cooking it, Mr GBov is looking into a smoker for me so I can see bacon and hams in the future too :happy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts