Best Veg for rabbits?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ben10, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Ben10

Ben10 Active Member

What would be the best veg or plant i can grow to feed my rabbits? I did see sweet potato vines/leaves as a option just wanted to see what would the the "best". Id like to be able to grow all the food they need locally instead of buying it from the feed store. Currently i have turnip greens growing and i feed them that. I also did Swiss chard, Ill need to start that back up I feel it worked better then turnips. I am in Texas and it gets hot and humid. I did read some of the other sticky before posting but i didnt see a "best".

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

There's nothing that is "best".
    Just follow the list and give them a variety along with grass hay to help digestion.

3. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Gotta be something besides greens. I plant a lot of greens, mainly collards---they grow year round here and the Rabbits and Chickens Love them. But They also get some pellets every day. Some hay--etc.

4. arnie

arnie Well-Known Member Supporter

if you want to stop feeding commercial feed . consider growing alfalfa it is the main ingredient in rabbit feed because it is the best , if you have room once its established it keeps on growing.for a few rabbits, you can cut a few handfuls from your patch and by the time you reach one end of your patch it will have grown back to let you start over . teaxas may be a great pace to keep it growing year round ,

5. Ben10

Ben10 Active Member

Thats something that could be of use! I knew it was commonly used but never thought of trying it i did try oats and barley as fodder but it was meh. Ill look into it and see, do you know of where to get any seed for it?

6. arnie

arnie Well-Known Member Supporter

every farm supply store should carry it ; but even an urban dweller should be able to find it in a healthfood store ,or on ebay as its common to sprout seed for "human fodder " or salads

7. stockdogcompany

stockdogcompany Well-Known Member

If you want to garden grow feed for your rabbits and are a towny, the easiest thing to do is to buy deer plot mixes in hunting sections of stores. Daikon radish, clovers, rapes, oats, etc. Of course, you could make ground hutches and just graze them on in the yard on a diverse mix of grasses, forbs and clovers.

Also, tree fodder is excellent. You can grow tons of mulberry, thornless honey locust and willow on coppiced shrubs in a tidy privacy hedge row around a yard.

Attached Files: