Best Used\Refurbished Laptop computer ??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Dec 10, 2006.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..........I'm posting here in hopes of soliticing more responses ! Since , I'm going to be residing in a 5th. wheel and won't have anywhere near the desk space as I have currently , I'm in the market for a refurbished laptop computer . A friend had a dell that he paid like 688 for . The display was quite large and very easy to read , and that seemed like a model I'd be interested in . Brother says Tishobia is a very good brand so I'll be looking at them as well . Note , I've never owned a Ltop so I know virtually nothing about their capabilities . All advise is appreciated , thanks , fordy... :)

2. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

I have had quite a few laptops during the last 10 years.

EVERY single one (except the replacement TOSHIBA Satellite, which I just got 2 mts ago) had a problem with the DVD/CD drive, a switch, the screen, or something else. All of mine have been covered by mfgr's. or in-store warrantees.

The current TOSHIBA is a replacement for a HP which they could or did NOT fix the DVD drive within 60 days (they gave me a new one to use during that time, I paid but they gave my money back when they gave me the new TOSHIBA, and I of course gave back the loaner) -- so Future Shop (Best Buy in the USA) gave me a new one because I had purchased their excellent extended warranty.

My wife has my previous laptop computer, which was also under warranty and was replaced with a new upgraded one when a small switch to control the volume broke and they decided to give her a new and much better one instead of fixing the old.

I suggest;
    • NEW
    • Get the extra warrantee for 3 years, or whatever
    • do NOT even consider a used or re-conditioned laptop

IMHO and experienced O,

Alex

3. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Ive got a compac persario its stood up to 3 years of constant travel and use.the only thing its needed is the power cord and plugin repaierd
    By the way for travel use both cingular and verizon have internet thru the cell system its about dial up speed most of the time but close to DSL if you are in the right cell a bit pricy but handy at $59 month

4. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

HP computer laptops can be bought relatively cheap. Hubby got his for about 700 US bucks.

HP and Dell are prone to problems, it's true that you get what you pay for. Hubby had to open up his laptop to fix the pinched flatscreen monitor that kept flickering. He never wants to do that again though, at any point he could of broke it.

I second Alex's suggestion of new and a warranty, you can't beat them.

Kat

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

When I researched a couple years ago Toshiba was tops.Also found out most All laptops are made by a few companies and rebranded by the majors.Toshiba was in that class,made by somebody I'd never heard of,but reviews and such rated the Toshiba top of class.So stepson bought one,its been their main computer since and has survived the kids too without a single problem.

My old Dell was excellent but its so old now I cant even do online banking, 96 ram max,thinking maybe try Ubuntu on it?

BooBoo

6. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you mean factory ferfurbished and still like-new, full warrenty?

I would not buy an older used laptop, don't see much value there. Laptops are minurized, and are pretty sensitve. The previous owned can easily have knocked the lard out of it, and a laptop is all specialized parts, no cheap generic parts you can buy to fix it. Any repairs are going to be 3x or more what a desktop would cost to repair....

Dell, Toshiba, & the rest are all good brands.

Some processors suck up batterie power, some are stripped down & too slow. There are good laptop specialty processors that are fast & low-power users at the same time - you pay for that of course. Buy a machine that does what you want it to do. You cannot practically ($$$$$$!) upgrade a laptop. Buy it as you want it, that is what you will be stuck with.

--->Paul

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................Thanks guys for all the excellent suggestions . I need to do alittle more research as I need to define what my needs really are . It seems that the older we get the less inclined we are to keep up with all the changes in technology . Such is the case for me as i'm always trying to simplify asmuch as possible . I may just upgrade my tower with more memory and situate it remotely and add a new LCD monitor . I have several different choices so I'll think it over . thanks , fordy... :)

8. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

Dell Dell Dell. I've purchased 3 separate refurbs over the years and loved every one of them. The extended warranties they INCLUDE (not the ones they wan to sell you) on the refurbs have come in handy too. Overall packages were all good values, IMO.

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

You might look at a mini tower with a flat screen monitor. Seems the laptops cost twice as much for half the goods.

10. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I bought a refurbished dell laptop on their auctions a couple of years ago, and still use it. It came with gold tech support and the warranty that covers ANY damage, even if I sat on it or threw it in a lake :) . Of course, they were up a long time ago now. Before it was, however, I ended up getting the monitor (spot on the screen), monitor back (scratch), keyboard and touchpad (touchpad had a problem and keypad is the same part) and hard drive (failed) all replaced before it was up. Extra cool thing was they didn't have 20 G hard drives any more when mine died, so they gave me a 30 hehe. It's been a good computer, but I've put it through heck and it will have to RIP soon.

11. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

If desk space is the main concern, you could go with a mini-mac and get a small flat screen monitor.

Lynda

12. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

My wife just picked up a refurbished Dell for $675 that was worth around $1100 brand new. No problems with it as of yet. I've known several people who have made similar purchases from them, all with good results.

13. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Don't get a Dell.

I have a Dell laptop I bought on eBay -- no problems with the seller, who really tried to help me within the scope of our agreement, but the CD drive has been replaced twice and still doesn't work. The laptop works fine otherwise, but it's been a bit tricky trying to install software without CD's. Eventually I'll get an external drive.

14. MrPG

MrPG Well-Known Member

If you can afford it, get the Dell with the 3 year, next business day onsite repair. They are not the best laptops, but their service is excellent. Beware, some of the cheaper deals that Dell offers include 1 year, mail-in (2-3 weeks to fix) warranties.

15. MyHomesteadName

MyHomesteadName Well-Known Member

I am a self professed computer nerd.....I will make a few suggestions, but if you want more info please feel free to message me. :)

Inexpensive deals - HP, Dell WITH WARRANTY
    Top End PC - Toshiba, Panasonic Toughbook (if you're abusive), Sony
    PCs will run Windows or Linux

Good alternative & very simple to use - Apple Macbook, or for all-out - Powerbook

Mac can also run windows/mac/linux ;)

If you aren't afraid and want a refurbished unit with no OS on it....by a cheap PC and put Ubuntu, or OpenSUSE 10.2 Linux on it. Lots of help in their forums, but I will say Linux is more for a computer geek than a casual user. It really depends what you want it for.

Again, PM me with any questions.

Have a great day!