Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small metal shed that needs to be stripped and repainted. Some of the paint is peeling and comes off easily with a scraper, but some is going to require more work. What is the best tool for removing the paint?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I've never used a sandblaster so I dunno anything about them. Probably the best thing for the job.

To do it with tools I have on hand I'd scrape the loose paint and rusty spots with a spatula and a wire brush and then pressure wash it. Maybe sand rusty spots if they're bad but probably not.

In Costa Rica there's this paint for galvanized roofs that's water based. No primer, easiest thing to use, it works great for everything metal. (counterintuitively). Is anything like that available up north?

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
A heat gun and scraper is less complicated than a sandblaster. Chemical removers work too but you wind up with those nasty chemicals.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
A flame thrower comes to mind, ha ha. Seriously though, a sand blaster would be ok.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,966 Posts
A good power washer with the right tip would take that off.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
If you use a sand blaster be very careful on researching and using the proper media (sand blaster material) that is available for your use in your area. Warping of the metal and creating a very rough pitted surfaced happens easily.

Heat guns will work fine, can cause fumes and possible heat the metal enough to warp. Slow but effective.

Water pressure washer can work well. 3500 psi and up is best. Keep in mind such pressures need to be dealt with carefully. Pretty safe, just keep in mind no trip hazards and people and pets kept out of reach. Any paint it does not remove is likely adhered well enough to paint over. Light sanding of the edges of any remaining paint patches will provide a nicer finish. Mask might be best while sanding.

Be sure to use the proper primer for your metal. Also try to buy your paints from a pro shop such as Sherwin Williams, Pittsburgh paint supplier etc. Often times it cheaper or a better grade of paint for a similar price from the box stores. Why go to all this effort and expense to have the paint start to fail in a few years or less.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts