Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know from you guys what is your best tip/trick to growing tomatoes? I've made the following video sharing what I've picked up over the years, but I would like get some fresh ideas to try in the future.

Here's the video:

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=WJ-lzyvoBzQ[/YOUTUBE]

·
Premium Member
8,357 Posts
I use a post hole digger and bury my early spring fish heads deeply below the beginning root zone; by the time they reach the zone, the plants are ready to make lots of good tomatoes. Now I'm working on a way to keep those fish heads from getting dug up by my flock of hungry racoons....:)

geo

376 Posts
My best tip is for when you plant them. Plant them on their side with only the top three or so inches sticking out. this allows the roots to grow all along the stem. I add a tablespoon of 10-10-10, a tablespoon of crushed egg shells (that i have saved all year) and a tablespoon of CALCIUM NITRATE. this is to help with the blossom end rot.

Plant enough to share.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
What's worked best for me is to just let them grow 'wild' where and how they want...Same with pumpkins. Doing all the work to make a nice bed and no weeds and all that junk ends up in a crappy harvest and plants. I have pumpkin vines in the front yard that take over half of it and do a thousand times better out there than in the garden where everything is supposed to be perfect for them...lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good morning to all- when it comes to growing tomatoes, I like to get them planted early, amend the soil as needed beforehand, and grow the vines just as fast as possible. Get my crop ripe and picked, and then pull the vines and be done with it.
I've had no luck trying to limp old tired mater vines through a long, hot summer season.
Let 'em be the quick oand the dead- good digging to all- Ed Mashburn

·
Registered
139 Posts
Plant as many varieties as our heart desire. Some varieties do better in the conditions in different years (and by conditions I do mean both the weather and...um...level of neglect they get in any given year).

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Plant through plastic, preferably red. Once the plants get a little height, cut off lowest side branches to slow down soil-borne disease like septoria leaf-spot. Spread out to the point of ridiculousness when you plant. Watch like a hawk for common diseases. Pay attention to the weather, and when it is humid, especially cool & humid at night, use your preferred fungal treatment. You need to protect against those in advance. Once the disease starts, you can't cure it, only control it, and that only up to a point. Bag whatever you trim off, and bag plants and put in trash at end of season, unless your compost gets plenty hot.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
What a wonderful video. You really did a good job, charming!

My one tip would be always try something new [to you] along with your main crop of tried and true favorites. There are so many varieties in this world we will never get to them all but great fun to find another you just might like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts