Best tasting teeny tiny tomato?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by katydidagain, Sep 21, 2005.

1. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Darn, I planted oodles of this unknown currant variety and they are sour, sour, sour! Size is perfect (like a small marble) but they pucker you up dreadfully! I'd like to find one, preferably heirloom, for next year. Any suggestions? Or am I asking too much?

katy

Edited to make this a question...

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I used to grow Sweet Million. They are about the size of a golf ball, very sweet, and easy to grow and pick on a trellis or fence.

3. HillsideHouse

HillsideHouse Well-Known Member

Hi Katy!
    My favorite is Sweet Million (sometimes confused with Sweet 100 which is bigger & more tart). They are about the size of a regular grape. Sadly it is hybrid but WOW they sure are good! I usually order from Territorial Seed Company in early, early spring (the plants sell out fast). It was a mild winter here so I was lucky enough to have tons of volunteers which grew as huge & tasty as the new plants!
    Good luck on your quest!
    :)
    PS: I didn't mean you were confused moonwolf! :) Sometimes local nurserys don't get that you mean million not 100...strange looks from em' when asking.

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Yup. I know the distinction. Sweet Million is what you want. I grew sweet 100 before that, and found the same that you mention. The sweet million are sweeter. I used to just pick them and pop them in my mouth for a treat while weeding the garden. I probably overstated the size as 'golfball', more like a jumbo marble or the candy we used to call 'jawbreakers'....bigger than a small grape, but smaller than a ping pong ball. :shrug:

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Katy, that'll "larn" ya! Didn't get those things from me, did you! Just wait until I have my next seed offer. Should have at least 8 or 9 little guys of almost every color. Some surprises this year were Lemon Drop and Green Grape. Favorite of mine was Black Cherry the past 2 years while my wife was partial to Cherry Roma.

Martin

6. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

The absolutely best tasting little tomato we've ever tried is called Sungold. The bush (vine) is always stripped -- they're eaten by the handful right then and there as soon as they ripen! We've compared them to Sweet Million and we find them to be a lot sweeter. This is still a cherry tomato, however.

The currant tomato we liked was called Spoon, and the wholesaler in Chicago (Germania Seed Co.) stopped carrying it several years ago. These fruits are much smaller than cherry tomatoes -- think of them as being small enough to fit as a bunch in a table spoon. I haven't been able to find it anywhere else yet, not even through the tomato specialty houses. There are other currant varieties, though I'm not sure how they taste.

I find that the wholesalers are trying to get rid of Sweet 100 in favor of Sweet Million, so be aware that some outfits are mistagging the plants. Unfortunately, they're also trying to replace Sungold with Sunsugar, too, and we like the original better.

7. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Martin,
    I used to organize Mid Atlantic GW swaps and was swamped with goodies for my efforts. But having been betrayed on a few fig trades, I hate to ask for anything from anyone. If you let me send you postage, you may set me straight this year. Okay? These 'pebbles' won't even dry up nice.... :flame:

katy

8. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Hopefully you'll all have a chance to get something good for little cost. I'll have Black Cherry, Cherry Roma, Green Grape, Lemon Drop, Red Pear, Riesentraube, Santa, Tommy Toes Yellow, and Yellow Pear for the little guys. I haven't ever tried drying cherry tomatoes. Cherry Roma and Santa are "crunchy" mini-Romas. Black Cherry, Riesentraube, and Tommy Toes Yellow are the juiciest. Green Grape, Lemon Drop, and Yellow Pear are somewhere in between. And still trying to figure out what Thomas Jefferson ever appreciated in Red Pear!

Most of the above are currently listed on my Garden Web seed offer. That's just for tomatoes. My seed offer here doesn't start until January. But if you want to get a head start and have a longer time to play with seed packets, you may request now. I'm flexible!

I could also ferment a few million Sungold for everyone. Only problem is that the F2s result in just about anything except Sungold! In fact, I do have some F2 and F3 seed but won't distribute it. Yellow, Red, Gold, round, pointed, flat, and anything but good. I gave up trying to find something even half as good as the F1.

What many are finding here is that the early Sungold fruit was really nice and appreciated. Every Sungold grower that I know has long ago tired of them. I stopped off at the community gardens this aft and had a few. I loved them in June and July. Now they are just another tomato after having tasted some sweeter fruit.

Martin

9. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I am with you, I grew sungolds and sunsugars this year, like sunshine right in your mouth!!!! OMG those buggers were good.