Best tasteing milk...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MissKitty, May 16, 2006.

1. MissKitty

MissKitty Mrs. no longer OldGrouch.

I am not interested in quanity but taste....What bread of goat would ya'll recommend??? MissKItty

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Kinder, hands down. I've had almost all the standard sized breeds, including Nubians (which do have good milk, better than the other breeds I've had), but Kinder milk is the sweetest, richest milk I've ever had. It has to do with the butterfat percentage, mostly, although Kinder milk is also high in milk solids other than butterfat.

Kathleen

4. sunshine estate

sunshine estate Well-Known Member

I've read that pygmy goats have real rich milk, but not very much of it...I've thought about breeding a pygmy buck to an alpine (or similar type) doe, to have smaller does with richer milk...anyone know someone who has done this? (Also you'd be keeping a small buck, until you needed to breed the second generation...)

I hope this is not too far off topic...

5. Freeholder

Kinder goats were developed (are still being developed, actually) by crossing Pygmy bucks on Nubian does. Nubians have the richest milk of the large goat breeds, but when you add the Pygmy genetics in there . . . it's like drinking half and half! Also, if you make cheese, you'll get double or more the cheese from Kinder milk as you would from large goats or from cows -- two to three pounds per gallon of milk, as opposed to only one pound per gallon of milk.

Kinders are also prone to having 'litters' (my seven-year-old doe had quads this year; five and six kids are not uncommon, and seven has been known to happen!), and since the kids grow rapidly, and are meaty (from the pygmy side, but Nubians are meatier than the other large dairy breeds), you not only have the best milk around, you also have a supply of meat!

Kathleen

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Of course it mostly depends on the cleanliness, the quickness of how it gets cooled, and a good diet.....but that all taken care of, I like the Nubian or Lamancha milk.

7. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Sunshine, Nigerians have milk like Pygmies, only more of it and over a longer lactation. The Miniature breeds, registered by the MDGA, start out as crosses between Nigerians and standard breeds - Mini Manchas, Mini Nubians, Mini Alpines, etc. So, in essence, somebody has thought of it. And it works great!

I have Mini Manchas. The milk is comparable to Nigerian milk, but there's a lot more and lactations are far more persistent. Plus it's easier to get at. There's more info and pictures on my website.

8. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

I love my nigerian milk! It's simply wonderful. I can't say on the mini manchas yet as neither one will put up with being milked! Both of these breeds have wonderful temperments and love people and are easy to care for.

9. dkdairygoats

dkdairygoats Well-Known Member

I go for Alpine any day. I don't think there is a whole heck of a lot of difference between breeds as long as all are fed and handled the same. Make sure they are on a good diet, get the milk cold as fast as you possibly can, and keep everything super clean and you will have good milk.

10. Freeholder

Have you ever had milk from one of the small breeds? I've owned and milked Alpines, Toggenburgs, Saanens, and Nubians, and what I've found is that there truly is a difference between the low-fat milk of the Alpine-type breeds and the Nubians -- because Nubians have higher butterfat. Yes, you can taste the difference. Then when you get into the small breeds, which can have nearly double the butterfat of a Nubian, there's REALLY a difference! The milk is noticeably sweeter in taste, and noticeably richer. It's almost like drinking half and half. The difference in taste is NOT due to differences in cleanliness, feeding, or milk handling, because I've had pretty much the same circumstances with all these breeds of goats, yet I DO notice a difference in the taste of the milk. (Not that Alpine milk is bad, just that Kinder milk is better! I can't speak for the other small breeds, because I haven't had them, but am assuming it's a similar story there, as the genetics would be similar.)

I do have sensitive taste buds, so maybe not everyone can distinguish between Nubian and Alpine-type milk -- I'm the one who always knows when the milk starts to turn before anyone else can tell. But even my family members who don't normally drink goat milk commented on how sweet the Kinder milk was.

Kathleen

11. debd0712

debd0712 Well-Known Member

The best milk we have ever had was from a 3/4 Pygmy, 1/4 Alpine doe who we unfortunately lost last summer. She never had much milk - lucky to get a quart a day, but it was like drinking whipped cream. The cream floated to the top and I regularly made butter with it. The best was the homemade ice cream - our 6 children wouldn't touch store bought after tasting hers. Our Nigerian Dwarfs have similar milk though it is not quite as rich. They milk around 2 quarts (sometimes 3) per day. We also have Nubians and LaManchas. Their milk is good, and the quantity is of course much higher, but the milk is nowhere near the richness of the minis, and barely any cream separates naturally.

Debbie

12. cjb

cjb Well-Known Member Supporter

Question: how are the kinders for temperament? i thought Nubiand and Pygmies were both pretty hyper and high maintenance (escape artists etc). I would think the combo would be a handful.

How are the Nigerian's temperaments? I saw someone post that theirs are "wild", which could be handling.

I have two crosses (Oberhaslis/Saanen) that are sweet and one cross of theirs with a Nubian that is very sweet but ornery and a major escape artist. I would like to get some mini's that are registered so we can do 4H and have been trying to decide between the Kinders and the Nigerians.

13. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I can't speak for the Kinders, but the Nigerians' temperament really depends on their handling. I have six at the moment, five does and a buck. The buck is very friendly - he was born on my farm and handled from birth. Beauty, a 9 year old doe, is an absolute sweetheart, but she's been shown and handled extensively. Bronwyn and Bridget were my first goats and were quite unhandled when I got them. Bronwyn is reasonably easy to handle, but Bridget has never settled. Now my two newest does, Ivy and Violet, are still very "deer in the headlights" but they are settling down, eating out of my hand. I've had them about a month now.

My Nubian cross is the sweetest goat ever, she just kidded on Tuesday for the first time. I can do anything with her, and her kid, Gabriel, is a sweetie too. Last night he climbed right into my lap and settled in for a snooze. :angel: My Saanen is very mellow, very loving, although when she first arrived, she hadn't had much affection and was a bit wary. My Alpine is a brat! She's the only bottle-raised in the bunch, and she is very demanding of attention. On the other hand, she will follow me anywhere, and she still tries to climb in my lap for a cuddle.

As for the milk taste - we've only milked the Saanen so far. She's just dried off and we had to buy milk for the first time since October. I tell you, coffee just isn't the same. :Bawling:

14. Freeholder

I keep my Kinders inside of combo panels, and don't have too much trouble with escape artists. The babies, when they are still tiny, can get through even the combo panels, and since I usually bottle feed, when they see me they'll come out and follow me around. But other than that I haven't had many escapes (forgot to latch the gate, that kind of thing).

Mine tend to be a little vocal, though not as bad as some Nubians are. And they are affectionate. When I first got mine, I got one older doe (Mazola, now seven) and four kids. Mazola was upset because she'd been separated from her pen mates, and the kids just didn't make up for that, so she screamed for about three days, every time I got out of sight (it was like buying one goat alone, as far as she was concerned). But it didn't take long before she was nuzzling up to me when I was in the pen bottle feeding the kids. Of course, all my adults have been bottle raised.

Kathleen

15. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

I personally have never had any experience with miniature breeds, so I don't know what their milk tastes like. But of the larger breeds hands down the nubians have the better tasting IMHO milk. Also the opinion of many breeders (that have a variety of breeds) in this area. The nubians milk is richr and creamier. Has more substance to it. Comparing alipne milk to nubian milk is like comparing 2% to whole cows milk. There IS a difference, it's just a personal prefernce which you like better.

Nubians can be stubborn, but IMO are more personable and friendly than some of the swiss breeds. Nubians just tend to show you their opinions more than the other breeds. I have had NO trouble in keeping my goats in. As long as they are well fed and have a nice dry draft free shelter, they are happy to stay where they are put.

16. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have Nubians, they give wonderful sweet milk. Mine are quiet and extremely well behaved (no pushing or shoving and they respond well to their names) which I understand is not the norm for their breed. The only time they have ever gotten out is when the gate had been left open. Then they came right to the back door and called for us, I told you they were spoiled... :rolleyes:

Christy