Best support for .....

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jessimeredith, May 10, 2005.

1. jessimeredith

jessimeredith That's relativity. Supporter

English cucumbers (at least that's what I call them). You know the long (15inchers) ones with few seeds and thin skin. It's reccommended that you grow them on a support.

I'm thinking some trellis in a teepee type thing, DH says dow rods with rope strung between.

What do you all think?

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I would think that the amount of wind damage that happens in your area, heavy winds would call for stouter support.

3. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I saw an idea recently where a length of 3"X5" fencing was suspended horizontally above the bed. The cucumbers can grow up through the mesh and sprawl on top of it. Another person on this site says to grow lettuce underneath a horizontal trellis like this, it will stay cooler under there.

hollym

4. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

I always liked the "cattle panel" arched so the veggies (cukes, beans, etc) grew up and could be picked from underneath. inside is a great place for lettuce and other non heat loving plants. easy to care for, easy to harvest and the panels come down easy enough at the year's end.

Kaza

5. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Grew them last year on the ground; no problems. We are in AZ. Had them growing all year.

6. jessimeredith

jessimeredith That's relativity. Supporter

Thanks for the ideas!

Moopups~we're in a fairly sheltered "valley" now, basically the low ground between two BIG hills covered in caves, lol. I'm not sure what the wind damage will be like, but I know that the massive oak in the side yard drops old limbs like crazy. Garden is WELL away from it. Close to the springhouse so I can just water direct.