Best spot for Homesteading?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by justme32110, Jun 18, 2005.

1. justme32110

justme32110 Member

I was wondering what your thoughts are on finding the best spot for buying a good size amounts of land to set up Homesteading?
    I live in Florida by Flagler Beach, we own two acres with a double wide mobile home. We really like it, we have five goats - hoping to get some chickens soon. We are major animal lovers, I think we are actually farmers at heart.
    I would love to have a lot more land some day but the prices are skyrocking here. My husband is a house painter so we could pretty much go anywhere.
    Thanks for your thoughts,
    Donna
    Florida

2. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Donna,

From having lived all over the country. Can honestly say there is no perfect place.

What you have to decide, is what is important to you. Only you can find the best place for you to live.
    Pick an area you think you would want to live in, and take a week Vacation to see if it is really what you want. Stay at a B&B.

Some info to look for..

Get the Crime stats for the areas you are interested in.
    Check what the going tax rates are
    See what kind of jobs are around
    Look at what climes you honestly want to deal with. Lots of snow, to no snow.
    Check to see what kind of bugs are around, if you plan on spending lots of time outside.
    See if there are livestock restrictions in the areas you like.

This is just a start, but hope to give you some idea what to look for. Happy searching!

3. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    What she said...

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Sit down and figure out what exactly you want to do with the land. Then shop for land in the places that support what you want to do.

Livestock can be successfully raised just about anywhere if you can keep the critters comfortable and the zoning laws allow what you want to raise. The costs vary, though. The shelter your stock need in South Dakota is a world away from the shelter they need in Tennessee.

Most crops are pretty climate specific. If you're interested in farming, really take a look at what grows in the different parts of the country.

What sort of weather are you willing to live with? I could never take the humidity down south. After going through one major thunderstorm that spawned tornadoes while visiting Detroit - I don't know how anyone lives with that kind of weather. Earthquakes don't bother me, though, and neither does living near a volcano.

How far are you willing to drive for work? How far are you willing to drive to take care of relatives? How far are you willing to drive for groceries and prescriptions? That will really narrow down where you look for property.

When you narrow down the search to several counties, take a look at their past land-use policies and try and get a feel for where they're heading. Is the county actively courting suburbia? In which case that nifty 20 acre parcel is going to be an island in the middle of yet another housing tract. Is the county trying to preserve farmland? In which case you have a better shot at having neighbors who actually farm and have stock of their own (still not a guarantee, though).

No place is perfect. If you really take your time, however, you can find a place that's close enough.

5. CBRYANT

CBRYANT Member

If you want to find information about a area , you can go to

www.hometownlocator.com

you can get all kinds of information .......crime ....income ........median age .........services for an area

hope it helps ..good hunting :D

6. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Where you are, right now, is the best place to start. Just like you are doing.

Learn and make mistakes and learn some more. And later, when you are ready to cash out, you can pick a place that suits your needs in re: to all those things bergere mentioned. I guarantee your needs will change with age and the learning curve. It may be closer or farther from friends and family. It may be where you can earn more cash, cause thats what you need. Keep a notebook with your ideas and dreams in it, a journal of what works and doesn't where you are now and compare later. You may learn you don't want what you thought you did.

As we grow older our desires and energy for work have changed, so I imagine I may even wish to live near town with public transportation years from now. I can see that happening, instead of isolating out where I currently am, if I can no longer drive. I never thought that would cross my mind.

7. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

As the saying goes "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence".

My husband drove a over the road truck and we lived in it while saving money for property and we traveled the whole country. We thought we wanted to go somewhere else, and then found we liked our home state the best. Couldn't wait to get back to the green mountains of NY!

I have lived in Florida a few times in my life and spent some of my teenage years in Flagler Beach. Loved it there! Why do you want to leave there? Of course, now at this time I can't take the heat.

8. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Just from what I've read on the net, land prices seem to be "cheaper" (relative term) here in KY and MO.

9. justme32110

justme32110 Member

We are enjoying this area right now, but Flagler County is the fastest growing county in the country : ( You know your in trouble when the news trucks are in the area covering how quickly your area is growing... I like the warm weather & the beach but my kids (10 & 15) both say they want to move back up north. We moved down here about two years ago from PA. (we are originally from New Jersey) - they like the season changes, they really miss it. I on the other hand hate snow, I would not be sad if I never saw it again. But of course the hurricane thing here in Fl. is very stressful, so I always have my eyes open for another area.

10. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Depending on your budget and future expenses to own the land, it depends on factors of what you can live with.
    These include:
    Climatic conditions, whether seasonally you can withstand hot, cold or various storms
    Healt considerations. Get allergy checked in case someplace you move to will affect you negatively with reactions.
    What is land around the homestead being used for? That could give you a hint as to what you can raise successfully or how much time and effort you might need to amend the soil.
    Water. Always check the availablity about that.
    Other legalities such as easements, environmental restrictions, etc.
    Hydro....electicity, gas, woodlot??? What access is that?
    Large tracts of land may be available depending where and vary from cheap to expensive. Check some areas adjacent to wild preserves, national or state forests, but be prepared to 'live with nature'. If you insist on land close to urban areas, almost always it will be expensive to pay by the acre, but convenience of distant may be what you are looking for.
    Check local regulations about anything, from by laws about keeping animals to land use or water or mineral rights.

11. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

I chose and love North Missouri; the soil is deep and a good combination of flats and hills --- the climate is typical with about six-weeks of "winter".

Prices five-years ago were about $300/acre, now hovering from $700 to $1,000.