Best Space Heater?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NCGirl, Sep 7, 2006.

1. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

My house has electric baseboard heaters, but my Bathroom is unheated. Had to take out the baseboard heater in there when we put in the W/D. I had a ceramic heater last year but it really didn't seem to warm the room up well. It always seemed drafty. What is going to be the best type of heater for an 8' x 10' room that needs to be heated only an hour or so a day? I don't mind if it takes a few minutes to get going if it is cheap to use!

2. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I purchased one of those oil filled ones at Sears a few years ago and I love it! (We also only use it in our bathroom). They are much safer than those electric coil ones that stores sell. Mine has a safety on it so that if it gets tipped over it turns off. Probably a good feature...any kind of space heaters scare me. :(

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Id put in a propane wall mounted heater. They are more costly up front, but it would give you a back up heat source if the electricity went out. They provide INSTANT heat, and would be very cheap to operate in your situation

4. chicken

chicken Well-Known Member

We use a milk barn heater in our bathroom. Has a fan on it so it moves that warm air around. Heats up fast and well. We've had it for many years so they are reliable.

5. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

We have several Delonghi oil radiators. They take a few minutes to heat up but work great. Some have a timer you can set for it to go on and off. They can be used for hours at a time also. The negative is they don't have a fan. They put out enough heat that it isn't a problem for us, but if you should decide to heat a big room it may be difficult with these. We have set a fan behind it before and that helps, or use a ceiling fan to push the heat down. In the winter this heater will keep our room at about 72 degrees with no fans on. They are very cheap to run also. Ours run about $10.00 or so more a month over our regular bill.