Best solution for wintering a lavender plant?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Bayside, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Bayside

Bayside Well-Known Member

I have a large tub of Lavender (in blue pot, below) which I placed out in an inclosed walk-way area of the house that isn't heated. The plant has been doing well up to now and looks as if it is in a dorment phase. Last night I noticed part of it drooping and was wondering if it wouldn't be better to bring it inside the house. I don't know if the heat would kill it after sitting out in the cold though. What do you plant experts suggest? :help:

[​IMG]

2. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

I always just leave mine outside. Only problem I have ever had is if the pot gets too wet and the plant is sitting with wet feet. Pots don't dry out quickly at low temps so I always put mine where they don't get too wet....on a porch, under an overhang etc. I just trim them up in the spring and away they grow! If you know the name of the variety you have you can check on it's hardiness, some varieties are hardier than others.

PQ

3. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Plant it outside or if you do keep it inside then water it like a cactus. the reason is that you aren't actually "growing it" in the winter. You are keeping it alive till spring.

4. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

If you're in the milder part of the Pacific NW, you can plant it outside and have it survive. What will be a problem is keeping it on the dry side -- the Mediterranean doesn't get the rain, drizzle, and mist like the coast! Make sure that the plant has EXCELLENT drainage so that it won't sit in water, and use a pebble or coarse sand mulch to keep splashing off the plant.

A couple of years ago, I saw LOTS of lavender farms on the Olympic peninsula where there used to be none. It's obviously hardy there. Here on the high plains of Montana, if I don't keep it in a pot and bring it in, it wouldn't survive. I keep mine in a bright and cool greenhouse, and only water when the soil is dry. Sometimes, that's only once a month.

5. woodspirit

It's winter hardy here in zone 5. 20 below zero

6. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

I left mine in the garden...piled a bunch of leaves around it but didn't really cover it. Knew it would die in the house as the wood heat keeps it too warm and dry. It'll live or it won't!!! Was warned not to take any late cuttings from it or it might have encouraged it to put on late growth that would have gotten nipped in the cold. We've had really cold weather here in so. MO for us...single digets several nites but spring comes early to this hilltop so here's hoping mine survives. DEE

7. woodspirit

Mutti- are you near that reservoir that broke?

8. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I have no advice, because mine is almost officially dead.

<sigh>

Oh, well, better luck next year...

Pony!

9. woodspirit

All right bayside. Bring it here and I'll grow it for ya till spring. ;)