Best small tractor?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Cygnet, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm sort've idly looking at getting an antique tractor in several months, when my S10's paid off. I need something that I can use to fix the road when it gets covered in sand after a rain, rather than waiting for the county grader -- just enough to get out.

Also just general light-duty tractor work: extracting stuck S10s from the aforementioned sand, scraping weeds off the property, disking a veggie garden, moving sand around, etc. Nothing majorly heavy.

And I LOVE old antique tractors.

So, what old tractor do ya'll reccomend? And what should I look for when I'm tractor shopping?

Leva

2. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: OH NO! Not again! This subject has been covered ... and covered again ... and re-covered time after endless time. Everybody's got their favorite recommendations and suggestions.

Many antique tractors (depending on what you consider 'antique', of course) have been "discovered" as "collectibles". The bad side is: prices are going up. The good side is: aftermarket parts are becoming somewhat more available.

The only general advice I'll give about an old tractor: If you intend to work WITH it - instead of ON it - do yourself a favor and install an electronic ignition conversion.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

But I like this topic............ although past posts would be worth a search1 Massey 35 deluxe gives you a live PTO, decent hydraulics, you can get them with power steering, and parts are a breeze. Antique but practical.

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

my screen name says it all!! buddy has a 45 major with three point.been working on him over three major and a 54 diesel .almost got em i think !! now just need to twist the boss ladys arm. depending on your likes theres a tractor to fit . two cylinder deeres are simple,effective tractors .only ones i would stay away from unless just collecting would be the orphans and even there the empire uses jeep parts but a lot used specific parts that if broke are expensive to fix