Best Sewing Machine for the Visually Impaired?

Discussion in 'Sewing & Quilting' started by unregistered6474, Dec 10, 2011.

1. unregistered6474

unregistered6474 Guest

My my is blind in one eye as a result of a stroke, however, she still enjoys sewing and makes amazing, beautiful, intricate quilts. I think that the machine she has now is at least 30 years old, so I would like to get her a new one for Christmas.

I was looking at this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-1...ng-Machine-with-Alphabet-Font-SQ9050/17039056

Does that seem like a good one? Do you have any other recommendations for a machine that work work well for a visually-impaired quilting enthusiast?

2. Chixarecute

Chixarecute Well-Known Member Supporter

Why not treat her with a thorough tune up/cleaning for her 30 year old machine at a sewing machine shop? The quality of her old machine probably beats anything you can find for under $500 today.

3. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

I personaly don't like Brother machines. I had one and the belt wouldn't stay tight, but that may be because I didn't use it much. My daughter has it now and she said it sews good.

My opinion if you go with a Brother I would go with this one.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-80-Stitch-Sewing-Machine-SQ9000/14237606?findingMethod=rr

It is less expensive and has a larger bed on it for quilting. Plus it has a needle threader on it easier threading for your friend. I love the needle threader on my Janome.

4. Tommyice

Tommyice Indomitable

I have a Brother CS6000i. It came with an extended table that snaps on, has a needle threader and works great. I bought it as a backup to my old mechanical BabyLock and now I use it more. You can set it to stop with the needle in the up or down position which I find invaluable. My only complaint is the LCD screen is hard to see in low light.

5. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

repair her old machine. she is used to it, after having a stroke sometimes things get confusing. I know as an older person, I hate change because it gets confusing.... confusion = stress.

if you have her old machine worked on figure $100... the walmart machine won't last a year with someone actually using it!

take her down to buy fabric!