Best prepaid cellphone deal.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by centexguy, May 10, 2005.

1. centexguy

centexguy Well-Known Member

I need to get a prepaid cellphone. I know the offers are always changing so whats the best deal now. I need about 100 minutes a month and I live in central Texas just north of Waco. Has anyone used Tmobile? What do ya think?

2. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I use US Cellular. I have to pay a minimum of $15 every other month. It rolls over as long as you don't let your two month mark go by without adding to it.

3. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

I use T-mobile and love it! For people that rarely use the phone it is a great deal. Get the $100 card and you get more minutes and they last a whole year.

4. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

We got my son a tracphone from Walmart. He doesn't use it lots but I think it's running us about $10/month and that's definitely cheaper than any plan. We checked out which phone to buy because the area they were good in...be sure to check that.

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

T-mobile does look pretty good. I also checked out US Cellular and wasn't inpressed with the 35¢ per minute rate and the expiration time period on minutes.

Unfortunately T-mobile does not serve my area hardly at all. No stores, and little signal coverage. Bummer.

Tracphone didn't look too bad.

Any other suggestions?

6. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

If you are just looking for a cheap line (many people around here use a cell as their only line because landlines are outragously expensive), try looking into a VoIP phone.

7. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I use a t-mobile "to-go" sim card in my phone. I originally bought the pre-activated prepaid sim card off of Ebay and it came with a few hundred minutes on it already. There's many of them on Ebay. I think I paid about $15 for it. You then call t-mobile to change the number to a local one. It only took a few minutes and it was changed.

My refills are one year expiration, even the $25 refills. Done right over the phone automated system with a credit card, no need to go buy a refill card. After you've added a few refills, they discount your rate. I only pay .15/minute now on it and like I said the refills have a one year expiration. It's a good deal if you don't use the phone enough to justify paying for a plan. I had paid for a plan for many years and most month never used the allotted minutes and was just throwing money away. If you hardly ever use a cellphone, using this you'd only pay about $2 a month to have a cellphone number.

T-mobile ToGo also has text msg'ing, email with pic attachments, and limited web access to a few news and general websites.

It uses Cingular towers in some areas.

8. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

Tracfone, buy the "double minutes card" once, then the 400 minute cards at $80 always double to 800 minutes, comes out to 11.5 cents a minute for me...

maddy

9. Sweetgal

Sweetgal Well-Known Member

Montana but traveling full time in travel trailer
    I bought a Tracphone because I don't use my phone that much. It has worked out well for me so far but then again I haven't used it much. I got overwhelmed by trying to figure out all the different plans and just finally decided to go with the one they had at Wal-Mart. I suppose I got a good deal but with all the differences in plans it's hard to say.
    Sweets

10. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Verizon if you travel a lot! Seemed to have the best coverage of all except tracfone, and a good rate too!

11. dalilies

dalilies Well-Known Member

I went with alltel's pay as you go. I don't travel far and only use a few (less than 10 minutes) a month. They charge 25 cents a minute, but you do not have to buy minutes unless you run out. I bought $35 worth last November and am just now having to buy any more. That time period even covered a 2 month kitchen remodel that I was calling home a few times a week to see what I need to stop and pick up on the way home.

Guess it depends what you are looking for.

Jennifer

12. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

I like my tracfone, great coverage.
    Most of you folks are self-employed and are writing the cost of the phone and phone cards off right?
    Jodi

13. b3hummers

b3hummers Member

I have 2 Tracfone's. I really like them. Once I got them register I have recieved a promotional calander extra minutes each time I buy miuntes.

14. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Don't get Tracphone. I will give you mine. You need to keep buying minutes; they expire if you don't use them; you must renew often. Made 2 calls and paid too much. Never use it anymore. We buy MCI from Costco but it isn't cellular.

15. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

I use Tracfone, and love it. You can buy cards at wal-mart/k-mart...sometimes at your local grocery store (depending if your store carries them or not)...and on line. I don't use very many minutes a month, but usually buy at least 100 minutes. I agree that buying the double time card is a good idea. It's expensive at first, but it soon evens out and saves money.

I will only use pre-paid cards now. I got sick of having to sign contracts for two, three + years of service for outragous prices. I don't need phones that take videos, pictures, or download music,screensavers, etc. That's just a way of them getting more money out of you. Just give me a phone that calls from one place to another, and allow me to decide how much I can afford to spend on it each month...that's all I need.