Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be going to Costco this weekend for the first time in a LONG time. I need some suggestions for what to add to my shopping list. I only want to buy things that will make sense from a long-term storage perspective. As far as I know, they don't sell bulk spices or flour, etc..

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
They should sell bulk items. The spice I have seen keep the best is pepper in the form of pepper corns , bought by the pound is cheap. And salt with iodyne bought in 25 pound bags.
Noodles keep for ever.

·
Registered
338 Posts
They sell flour and spices. Good long term things are the ubiquitous beans and rice. They also have sugar, spices, baking soda, salt and hot chocolate for good prices. They also have a decent selection of canned meats, canned veggies and fruit. Ours has started carrying lots of organic tomato products for less than the regular non-organic at regular store prices. I tend to buy pintos, rice and canned meat there fairly often for my food storage.

Elsa

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
check your local prices before you go. I can find most things cheaper in my local grocery than at Costco. Especially sugar and beans. Canned meats, I have found to be cheaper at Costco.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I've also noticed if you are near or in a large metropolitan area with several Costcos, the items will vary from one store to the next. So it may seem that Costco does not carry large bags of whatever, the next store over will. I guess they have market studies, etc about what sells in each area. I have seen 25- and/or 50-lb bags of staples such as sugar, flour, rice, etc in Costco as well as large containers of spices (for example, I've got a 10-oz jar of cinnamon that hubs picked up at Costco). One thing I have noticed about some of the spices, especially if you are used to grocery-store spices like McCormick, is that the Costco will often have a different taste or strength. The jar of Costco/Kirkland cinnamon is not as strong as McCormicks for example.

Also it is real convenient storage-wise to pick up wrapped cases of items; however, I can often find the same items in the grocery store cheaper per item when there is a sale or a BOGO.

We do like the Costco TP as each roll is individually wrapped. Maybe not green, but I am looking at it from the point of view of a hurricane area resident.

Hubs usually does the Costco thing when he is up in Miami to spend a weekend with his brother and shoot at a range. I've been to different Costcos a few times, and I've never had the opportunity to hit Sams and BJ's (I think) wholesale club to compare. The funny thing about our family situation is that I used to be an avid couponer, sale shopper, refunder, so according to in-laws, I was "cheap" and really "didn't know how to run a household." Yeah, I'm the only one living in a paid-for house; I must be dumb. However, when they found Costco, boy were they "smart." That is why Hubs usually does the Costco thing when he is up in Miami visiting. Oy vey.

Enjoy your trip to Costco. Hope you find everything you need. If you have time, make a list of your local prices to compare.

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
6,905 Posts
We have shopped at Costco, now having moved to this area what we have is a Sams.

Our experience is that you really have to price compare.

My Dw works in a grocery store, she remembers prices pretty good. And we will go with a long list, into Sams, but usually only walk away with a quarter of the stuff we need. Simply because it is not cheaper.

Now for good prices on beans, corn, grains, we go to local farmers and mills.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Someone mentioned iodized salt up there -- keep in mind that for sauerkraut, pickling, or preserving meat you need NON-iodized salt. I'd put up fifty pounds or so of that -- as long as it stays dry, it keeps.

Kathleen

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Does the iodine somehow ruin the pickling? Just wondering....

At Costco I mainly buy big boxes of Kirkland laundry soap, beans, rice, tuna, canned veggies and tomato products, spices, coffee beans, toilet paper, vinegar and oils, and dog food. I get lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, milk and meat there too, but those aren't really prep items.

·
Registered
40 Posts
we have sams down here, i find a lot of stuff cheaper at the local grocery, but lots of times you cant get it in volume there, but i usually just get what is cheaper that i cant get anywhere else. i get a lot of our otc meds there, they are half the price of the local stores.i have big family so we get a lot of big cans of foods, dry goods, and spices.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I went to a SAM's yesterday and stocked up for the next couple of months. They have spices in bulk along with 50 lb bags of salt or flour, dog food, cereal,canned items, paper towels and toilet paper.

Just about anything you could need.

The closest Costco to me is over a couple of hundred miles....so I guess I have to make due with what I have to work with!!!

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I am pleased to report that we had a good shopping trip at Costco :) I price checked everything and did find that several items weren't any cheaper than I can find on sale at our local tiny grocery store. We got some really good deals on everything we bought though. Their fresh bagels are amazingly good and were a good buy at 16 bagels for $4.99. We found washcloths, tuna, organic pasta, organic frozen broccoli, organic fresh carrots, walnuts, almonds and olive oil all at well below what we normally pay at local smaller grocery stores. Granola bars were a bargain, so were white rice and flour in 25 and 50 pound bags. Cheese was also much cheaper than at a regular grocers. Oh, and I can't forget the great deals on dried fruit...we LOVE dried cranberries, dried plums (prunes) and organic black raisins, all of which were really good price.

I can definitely see how people end up spending more just for the convenience of buying everything in large quantities, but I am a very disciplined shopper and so is my DH, so we should be able to use Costco at a considerable savings.

I finally got the vacuum sealer I've wanted for ages, so I will be vacuum sealing til the cows come home to get all the goodies put up :)

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on the thread. You guys are an amazing resource for us!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts