Best power drill?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Maura, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

My husband needs a new battery drill. The one he really likes was used to build the house, two sheds, and now he's working on my kitchen cabinets. The bits keep falling out because the dohickey that keeps them in is broken. He has a couple of cheap Black and Decker battery operated drills, but they aren't as good as this one. What's the best battery operated drill for the money?

Thanks

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

My Makita cordless has worked long and hard for me.

3. thebugguy

thebugguy Not just another fungi

I purchased a Ryobi 18v 1/2 inch drill from Home Deopt about a year ago for $99 (with flashlight), and it's done everything I ever wanted it to. Can't say it's the top of the line, but the next step up will cost you another $60 to $160...

thebugguy

4. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

Pay attention next time you pass by a building site and you will see a whole lot of one color, Yellow. Can't beat a good old Dewalt for staying power and battery life. I am on the tail end of the third year with my Dewalt drill and I still use the same two batteries that came with it. I better add that that is three years as a contractor using it daily.

Other options would be Milwaukee, Bosch or Hitachi.

Too light IMO (experienced opinion) Black and Decker, Makita, Rigid, Craftsman.

Ted

5. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Milwaukee has a new line of 28v cordless tools that use lithium ion batteries rather than NiCad. Run much longer and you don't have the recharging issues that NiCad batts have. Strong tools, and the 28v don't weigh much more than the 18v.

Rigid tools have a lifetime warranty. Battery goes bad - go to any Home Depot and they'll give you a new one. Switch goes bad - they'll fix it or replace the tool (probably fix it). Burn the motor up - fixed or replaced...

And yes, my Makita miter saw that's 15 years old (used commercially for 10 of those) is still one of my favorite and best tools....

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

WOW! I hope they are the same quality as their other tools,as they are a favorite of mine.Lithium Ion,Im impressed!

Thanks for the heads up,do you have it?

BooBoo

7. bill not in oh

I wish!!! LOL They're a bit pricey, but an excellent value. I've been impressed with Milwaukee tools for years - I have a recip that they built that I've put through the wringer and by all accounts should have given up years ago. These are actually the first cordless power tools that I've been impressed with ever.

Dewalt does makes great tools.
    Hitachi makes probably the best circ I've ever used.
    Porter Cable is legendary.

But these Milwaukee cordless tools are impressive...

8. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Ive abused my Porter -Cable for several year now and its still going strong

9. SolarGary

SolarGary Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Just to add to the confusion, I have a 12volt (lighter weight) Bosch. It is really nice to use, and has held up to a lot of abuse.
    Gary

10. dennisjp

dennisjp dennisjp

I saw someone say DeWalt. I have used I guess every type of power tool they make over the years and I like them to.
    Makita is a good brand for the money. That is the only brand circular saw I will buy.
    Milwaukee and Ridgid are two of the best, but I can't see the price.

I know I will get blasted for this, but the best bag for the buck is Black & Decker 18 Volt.
    Now before you go yelping, Black&Decker makes the DeWalt line of tools. The B&D line is just pointed at home owners and DeWalt is for professionals.
    No, they are not as good as the others are, but her question was which one is the best for the buck.
    You can buy several B&D's for what a milaukee or ridgid would cost.
    One thing I will say, if he is going to be drilling any holes in timbers larger than 1/2" to 3/4", go with something better.
    I think I wired 3 homes with the one I have, but started drilling holes in 8" x8" post and the clutch started slipping, but I was using a 1" auger bit.
    I dropped down to a 1/2" bit and drilled the rest and then went back with the 1" and cleaned them out and got the job done.
    I am still useing it and as long as I don't put to much on it, it is working fine, and like I said, I expect I pushed mine as hard as any fool would, drilling what I was drilling as large as the holes were, and with a good auger bit on top of that.
    Another thing is you can order a new chuck, if that is all that is wrong with it.

As far as the Ryobi, unless they have improved tremendously in the last couple of years, I wouldn't trade a B&D for 3 of them.

If you don't like B&D, the next step up for the bang for the buck is Makita.

This is just my openion, but I have been in construction all my life and I guess one reason for feeling this way, is too many of my high priced tools walked off. It is funny that way. It seems the more you pay for something, the better it can grow legs to walk off with, and they can even figure out how to get out of locked tool boxes etc. :shrug: :Bawling:

11. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

I'm glad I spent the bucks for my Bosch.

Because of a very good deal(price) I got a backup from Lowes----Firestorm 24v . . . . . . .so far its a good unit.

12. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

I LIKE THE RYOBI FOR THE $$. BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK!

I HAVE BEEN THROUGH THREE DEWALTT CORDLESS DRILLS AND THEY ARE NOT VERY GOOD. THE CASES DEVELOP CRACKS AND THE MOTOR WENT BAD IN ONE. BATTERIES WERE OK, BUT ONE PHYSICALY BROKE. I would not buy another one. I decided to buy a cheep 18v Ryobi. Its not as rugged looking as the top of the line ones, but I can say its better in every way to the 18v DeWalts. Only reason I have three Dewalt cordless drills was it was cheeper to buy a complete drill from a pawn shop than a new battery. They were all of low quality. The Ryobi does everything I ask it to and replacement batteries are cheep. My second choice would be the Rigid. HD gives lifetime warranty....thats worth alot!

I switched professions last year, but was a Licensed contarctor for 10 years. I own power tools by Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee, Skill, B&D, Ryobi, and Delta. Ive never has a modern Black and Decker tool I was happy with but the rest have been excelent on average. Ive had a crapy Ryobi router, but Im very happy with my drill and mitre saw made by them. Ive never herd complaints from professional tradesmen about any decent name brand cordless drill except DeWalt. Some would say the Ryobi isnt in the same leauge as Bosch, Milwaukee and others. My feeling is my Cheep Ryobi cordless drill is almost as good as them (Ive used the cordless Milwaukees and Dewalts), and only cost 1/3 the price. TRUST ME, ITS THE DRILL TO BUY.

just a side note, the B&D firestorm batteries will work in the dewalt (used to anyway)

13. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Yup,I gave up on Mag lights for that reason.Aluminum grows legs,plastic just doesnt,go figure.

The Milwaukee recip,got it too,excellent excellent saw.Mine plugs in though.

BIL was big on the Makita drills years back.Used em professionally,I would say they held up pretty good,at the time they were the best.

How are the new Makita drills holding up,anybody bought one recently?

I think B+D is pretty bad nowadays,they have lost my business,man they are crummy,IMHO and experience.Seem to be WalMart quality,ie,junk toys.

BooBoo

14. vallyfarm

vallyfarm Well-Known Member

RYOBI!!! I've used Craftsman,DeWalt, and a few others, I got fed up with them taking a cr#% when they take a little fall or over torque them and crack the housing.Went and bought a crappy and cheap Ryobi and fell in love! Plenty of power, battery lasts a long time, takes a REAL beating...Fell off the hay mow onto the rocky ground- can't say it hit a rock, but it is a 40' drop...then my father drove over it with a tractor and hay wagon...ALL wheels went over it, I climed down, the drill bit was broken, but the drill was FINE except for the little level thingy on the back. That was over 3 years ago, and I still use/abuse it almost every day. One battery did die, but a 2-pack at Home Depot is like $25.00! Mike

15. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

I'd stay with the good brands (DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee) and pay particular attention to the voltage. My 9-volt Makita drill/driver is a power driver but fails miserably in the "drill" department. Even on a full charge, it's barely got enough power to drill through soft woods. Hardwoods? Forget it.

16. dennisjp

dennisjp dennisjp

Now ya'll got me wondering about RYOBI products. I bought a mitre saw, skill saw and drill all at the same time several years back when I started a job somewhere. It was a contract job, but I took all of them back, maybe two days later and raised hell about the junk.
    I swapped out for something or another, I forget now what brand I went with at that time, but I said I wouldn't ever buy that piece of juck again and haven't so far.
    Spam, if you bought them at a pawn shop, what did you expect??????????

The real question is, how much money does she have to spend and how hard is her hubby going to work it.
    If the worst he is going to do to it is drill 1/2" holes in 8" timbers, the B&D is the best bang for the buck. Period. End of story.
    If he is going to work it harder than that, atleast a Dewalt. If a DeWalt wont take it, he is working too hard.

17. jross

jross swamper

My one peeve about any battery operated tool is replacing batteries when the tool is pretty old. I have an older 9.6 Volt Dewalt that is my favorite. When the batteries finally went, I couldn't find replacements anywhere locally. I could have sent to Maryland (Dewalt), but it really ticked me off to have to send for the batteries. I told the person at Dewalt, I would just go and buy another brand of drill, so I bought a new Ryobi with two batteries for less than two Dewalt batteries. As dumb luck would have it, I found two dusty Dewalt 9.6 volt batteries this year in a local Ace hardware store, for which I paid the same price Dewalt wanted. I said dumb luck because that Ace store just closed up for good. I used both drills to drive dekscrews into pressure treated SYP and both performed well.

18. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

It sounds like you just need a new chuck (the doohickey that keeps the bits in) They can be had a lot cheaper than even a crappy new cordless. I'm guessing that you could evern pull a chuck off of one of the cheap drills you allready have and install it on the good drill. Jacobs makes decent chucks, if you are looking for a new one.

That said, look for a drill with metal vs. plastic gearing. All the higher end brand names previously mentioned are good. I like Bosch the best, myself. They review better than the other brands and are great tools.

19. bill not in oh

Just a quick heads up about DeWalt...

They make two lines of tools - homeowners and contractors - and although they look the same, they're not the same tool. If you get your DeWalt drill at Home Depot or Lowes, you'll be getting the homeowners' version.

Just like the John Deere lawn tractors - not the same quality that you'll get from a JD dealer. Or Echo saws and line trimmers, or any of probably 10 or 15 other branded products...

20. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

you can have a new chuck put on that drill he likes for about $50.

Dewalt, Makita, Porter Cable, and Hitachi have one year warranties.
    Bosch, and ridgid have 3 year warranties.
    Milwuakee has a 5 year warranty.

I own a repair shop. I repair all these brands. All I buy for myself is milwuakee.