Best places, perhaps Montana?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unstructured, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Unstructured

Unstructured New Member

Hello, this is my first post in the homesteading portion of the site. I have some property in a beautiful area of Montana, and I like it there. What would be your opinions on it being a good place for property rights as compared to other western states, I'm all ears.

2. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Most of Montana is being slowly annexed into Kalifornia. Sell your property and head east.

mikell

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

And they elected a DEMOCRATIC GOVERNOR!?!

All is lost...

4. baysidebunny

baysidebunny Well-Known Member

Where in Montana, do you live?

I grew up in Great Falls, but lived in Helena and Bozeman for years.

5. JackieA

JackieA Well-Known Member

Yes, where at - I lived in Whitefish from 8th-12th grade ('78-'82).
    JackieA

6. coventry49

coventry49 Well-Known Member

South Central Montana, foothills of the Beartooth
    I've lived in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Wyoming and Montana (that's where I am now). I just love Montana. Perhaps the western portion of the state is becomming Kalifornian, but here in the south central area I have found the most freedom, friendliest most helpful people, better land prices, fewer restrictions and better climate than anywhere else I've ever lived. I plan to be a Montanan for the rest of my life. Just my HO....

7. Unstructured

Unstructured New Member

The family purchased some property after having lived in South Dakota and I've inherited it, it's in the west and I can see a lot of Californication and such there but it seems like personal freedoms are the order of the day at least from my visits there, Wyoming is another possibility but I'm young yet so I'll have to do some research..

"Most of Montana is being slowly annexed into Kalifornia. Sell your property and head east."

East as in NY or east as in North Dakota or closer state?

BTW, I'll get back to this thread later on, thank you for all of your answers, I have to run for now! :) :)

Peace and Good Day

8. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

I grew up in Havre, MT. It is a great place to live if you don't need a job. Job's are scarce or they were back then. It's been a while. I was 57 yesterday. LOL.
    Montanans don't like to be told what to do much. For instance during Nixon's reign the 55 mph speed limit was enacted and the Big Sky legislators waited until the very last day before losing their highway funding to act on it. The fine was set at $5 and you paid the cop. Someone was passing through and got stopped for speeding. He found out the fine was $5 and payable to the officer so he gave the officer $10 and said he was coming back through again the next day. I guess he thought it was a permit. :rolleyes:
    I attribute most of my finer qualities to my Montana upbringing. When my business location here in AZ was being broken into on a regular basis I told the deputy that if they couldn't get it stopped I would have to do it myself. I explained to him that I had grown up in Montana where Deliverance was rated PG. We thought it was a training film........you know some days you can create more problems than you can possibly solve.

9. baysidebunny

Jobs still are scarce, desdawg, that's why I'm over here in the Pacific Northwest.
    Like they say...Montana is beautiful but you can't eat the scenery.

My ex brother n' law got his masters in Biology from the college in Havre.
    He is a professor teaching at the College of Great Falls now and not doing too well financially in comparison to other teaching jobs elsewhere. I guess it's the price some have to pay for thier freedom.

10. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Dont come here unless you have a lot of money and desire to make no money. Thats just the bare facts about the state.

11. desdawg

The people who stayed after high school graduation were inheriting farms or went to work for the railroad for the most part. The railroad is pretty much a thing of the past now so that doesn't leave too many options. It seems that many of the nicest places to live don't have much population, hence not many jobs. You need to be an entrepeneur (sp) or be like the californicators and work from home by computer. So here I am in AZ where people are moving in left and right. But I get to do OK.

12. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Actually, a guy I used to cowboy with just applied to the RR. They are hiring, and he says it is a good job. I think in general, you are right though.

13. coventry49

Ya know, I live about 35 miles south of Billings, Montana, and I guess I have the best of both worlds. I have a rewarding, good paying high tech job, yet I live out in the country among the wildlife and with easy access to National Forests, state and BLM land.

Granted, places like Bozeman, Helena, and Kalispell have priced themselves out of the every-man's budget, but Billings and Great Falls have a pretty good job market, yet real estate is still reasonable. Within just a few miles outside of the city you have pristine, still affordable countryside. If you are looking for spectacular scenery, though, or a homestead 30 miles down a dirt road, yeah you're gonna have to make some compromises.

I lived in Wyoming for 3 years before moving here, and it was probably the most exasperating place I ever lived. Since I wasn't homegrown, I couldn't even buy a job. The locals made it clear that the only use they had for me was to part me from as much of my money as they could. And they did a real good job of that.

Maybe it was all by the grace of God, but I came to Montana virtually homeless and nearly penniless (after the debacle in Wyoming) three years ago, and within 2 weeks, I had a little trailer of my own and this great job. Last week I "closed" on a 5 acre piece of property that I am going to put a manufactured home on in April, financing the whole thing, on just my salary.

I LOVE Montana.

14. carly

carly on winged flight...

Oh, Montana, give this girl a home
    Give her the love of a good family and a man of her own
    Give her the wild wind for her brother and the wild Montana skies!

I am heading that way this summer in a Class C motorhome with 2 Border Collies and 6 cats.....and hope to find a place near Livingston, Red Lodge, Nye, White Sulphur Springs. Big Timber or WHEREVER that I can afford!! My family homesteaded in northern MT in 1890 and I am a Montana gal who needs to come home in the worst way!

Any help, advice etc appreciated........

BTW, it is a brand new Motorhome....31 ft.

15. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............I gotta a Commercial Drivers license . :eek:
    ...............Six munths uh'go I couldn't Spell Cowboy , now I Are One...fordy.. ;) :worship: :eek:

16. desdawg

Congrats coventry49, I like success stories! I have to keep making progress somewhere or go crazy.
    Carly, good luck. You have from about May to Halloween before winter gonna get you.
    Fordy, you are all right. I don't care what anyone says.

17. baysidebunny

Coventry and Carly...

Congratulations Girls!
    Good For You!!!

18. coventry49

Carly, Places like Livingston and Big Timber are gorgeous but can be extremely windy (read "tremendous windchill factor, and trucks being blown onto their sides") in the winter. But you'd love Nye and it's neighbors, Absarokee and Columbus. Even areas near Red Lodge are still affordable. Don't forget to look down Rt. 310 (also in Carbon county, like Red Lodge) for property. Not a spectacular area, but pretty and very rural. I also like White Sulpher Springs, but it's in a different part of the state which I'm not that familiar with.

If you get out my way, gimme a call. Perhaps I can help.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!

Barb in Montana

19. opus

opus Well-Known Member

coventry49,

Red Lodge area is pretty high. Spent a while in Roscoe on a ranch a few years ago. Was checking out property but couldnt touch it. Especially with the mine, Nye and Big Timber prices have shot up. Even Absarokee and Columbus are feeling the financial pressure.
    Great areas to live, but still....no work aside from ranching. That is unless you want to commute to Billings daily.

20. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Another thing to take into account when you relocate is whether or not you plan to garden. Most of the places mentioned are incredibly lovely, but very hilly to mountainous. The seasons are short, the summer nights are cool (or cold, even), and the soil can be extremely poor (rock/sand/clay) except in the creek bottoms. Many things grow very well, but heat-lovers, tomatoes and peppers for example, need extra care to do ok.

I live outside of Great Falls.