Best Places in the U.S. to Live Link

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ken Scharabok, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

The Feb 05 issue of Progressive Farmer has a feature article on what they determined to be the top counties in the U.S. to live based on a number of factors. You can find the list and their critieria at:

www.progressivefarmer.com/bestplaces

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Hey, thanks Ken.

Whoa is us that live in Ohio... only one out of the top 100.

3. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

Cool!
    There are lots of great places NOT listed. Thank you God for keeping them secret! lol

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I've either lived in, or close to some of the places listed and you couldn't pay me to move to them now. (And I'm talking BEFORE the list came out!) For instance, Garfield County, CO where it is against the law to live in a house that is not connected to utility electric!

5. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Duh, if you looked close, they all have one common denominator. The people living there / moving there have good incomes, probably well above the average.

Rural Yuppie doctors, professionals playing farm boy. :haha:

There was one Ohio spot. Geauga county #69.

The other factor probably common, they are all probably high population growth counties / locations. Just what I am looking for. :no:

6. dreadstalker

dreadstalker Well-Known Member

well if the hits for nebraska are any indication your right .both are in or near high population areas.the good knews is the best places i know of are still secret

7. Mastiff

Mastiff Well-Known Member

hmmm some nice spots for Yuppie flatlanders... Glad they are going there and not here...

8. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

It is surprising to find the higher the income level of a county the higher it also ranks in the 'desirability' factors they looked at??? Health care services tend to go to places which can afford it. Good schools are generally at places which are willing to adequate fund it. Crime rates would generally be lower as they are less likely to have the nickel and dime crimes which add to the statistics.

One aspect they didn't mention was employment opportunities. Those which some of those listed seem to be just outside the burgs, still within commuting distance. Twenty years from now they are likely to be the burgs themselves.

For most of those on the forum there is likely a strong reverse correlation between 'liveability' and 'job opportunity'.

9. Momo

Momo Well-Known Member

Fortunately they have neglected my whole state. Maybe that will prevent some more rich retirees from pouring in here. We have gotten quite enough in the past 5 years.

10. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Finally, a top 10 list we didn't make! Thank goodness. I have enough neighbors right now, I really don't need any more.

11. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Well Grand Traverse County, our neighbor to the north, made the list at #72, which didn't surprise me a bit! However, had the list-makers looked a little farther south, they would have found a thriving farming community with much more reasonable land prices, good schools, the best neighbors in the world ... and still a short drive from the shopping, arts, entertainment, etc. in GTC.

I have long believed I'm very lucky to live where I do. :)

12. Blackthorne

Blackthorne Member

Well, they have listed most of Wisonsin, with our county in the top rankings. The counties listed for WI really ARE very rural, including ours. That is changing somewhat in the counties around Madison with some sprawl coming, but most of us still farm actively and there is lots of space between folks.

13. Mandy

Mandy Well-Known Member

:no: I was hoping NH wouldn't make it on the list...we have too many people moving here. :waa: Fortunately my county didn't make it, but I feel sorry for the real natives to Grafton county. The White Mtns are being over run with yuppies who dont even live in our state they just come up here to stay at their "camp" aka ski condo, or multi hundred thousand dollar house that just doesn't fit in with its surroundings. Being up there on a weekend is like trying to drive thru Boston during rush hour. It really stinks now.

Mandy

14. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Looks like most of these places have snow and probably mosquitos in the spring; no thanks.