Best place to buy a hive

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by kgchis, Jul 23, 2006.

1. kgchis

kgchis Well-Known Member

OK. I am considering getting a hive for a hobby and to learn.

Where would be the best place to buy a starter kit and what price? I know not to buy used since the hive could have disease.

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

I recommend you read thew post here::::>http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=53438 It is to help new or thinking of becoming bee keeping persons.

Cost of the hives are minor compaired to the shipping cost today. I would recommend you shop for a source near you. Or just build it your self.
    Kits are not really money savers. They just get you started and sell you a few things not really needed.

:D Al

3. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Well-Known Member

I would find a local supply as I too found that shipping far outweighed the cost of the hive & equipment.

You could always do what I did and just follow the signs for "Local Honey" and make a purchase and talk to the beekeeper(s). The guy gave me a hat/veil which needed only a little repair and he was able to point me in the direction of some good suppliers in the area and also ones to stay away from.

:) Carla

4. indypartridge

indypartridge Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with FlipFlop: find a beekeeper near you. Hunt down a local beekeeping association and attend a few meetings

http://www.mdac.state.ms.us/organizations/mshoneybee/Library/AboutUS.html

In general, beekeepers are more than happy to talk about their hobby and offer tips & suggestions for getting started, where to buy equipment, etc. Since beekeeping varies considerably from place to place, it's helpful knowing a local beekeeper, i.e., what works best for me in Indiana probably wouldn't apply in Mississippi.

5. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

It's in Canada so shipping may be a joke- but it's worth checking out www.beesource.com as it's the wholesaler that sells to everyone else. Shipping from them 'may' just be well worth the order. Unless you can find a wholesaler in the US.

6. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Try Sippi Bee in Raymond Mississippi.