Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am hoping that ya'll may have some ideas on the best places to buy a farm. My dream had always been to move to Montana and live in the pines, mountains and have a sustainable farm. We moved to MT and things just really didn't turn out...though I still love the state, it just doesn't seem like the place for us.
We are now in Idaho and though we have family here and there are a ton of farms, it lacks the mountains and trees that I want. It really is growing too fast and I don't seem to fit in with the suburanites and soccer moms.

We might have the ability in 2007 to move where ever we want to but I'm at a loss of where to go. Instead of building a new house, I really want to find an old farm house to fix up. I also would like enough land to sustain the livestock we will get. We don't need to make a profit on the farm, just sustain ourselves as hubby will be doing some building/backhoe work and I do crafts.

It sounds like a pipe dream but I know there has got to be a place somewhere that isn't growing so fast...that still enjoys the slow lane in life. So, where are some good places to start looking? We would really like to stay in the western half of the states, it seems to have the biggest land mass with the least people...for now anyways.

Loree in ID
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,787 Posts
Lets start with why didnt MT work out for you?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,041 Posts
What part of Idaho are you in Loree? It must not be the north...we have lots of mountains, trees and water. One place you might want to check out is eastern WA. Colville, Kettle Falls...the towns around there are lovely and the mountains are beautiful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fantasymaker said:
Lets start with why didnt MT work out for you?
It may sound silly to some of ya'll, but hubby doesn't feel that MT likes him. We moved to MT the middle of May and within 4 days on the job (end of May) he had a horrible, life threatning accident that changed our lives forever. Don't get me wrong, MT is BEAUTIFUL!!! But if hubby doesn't feel comfortable there, it just wouldn't work. He wants to get me a farm with trees and mountains around but it won't be MT:O(
Loree in ID
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LisaInN.Idaho said:
What part of Idaho are you in Loree? It must not be the north...we have lots of mountains, trees and water. One place you might want to check out is eastern WA. Colville, Kettle Falls...the towns around there are lovely and the mountains are beautiful.
In the great Snake River Valley, where the farms are big and the mountains are not;O) We live in Idaho Falls, which is close to Yellowstone and Jackson and the Tetons are beautiful but the prices of land are not.
Hubby mentioned OR or WA, that's a good place to start. When we lived in Alberton, MT it was just over the border from ID and it was lovely. Sounds beautiful where you live!!
Loree in ID
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,041 Posts
montanabound said:
In the great Snake River Valley, where the farms are big and the mountains are not;O) We live in Idaho Falls, which is close to Yellowstone and Jackson and the Tetons are beautiful but the prices of land are not.
Hubby mentioned OR or WA, that's a good place to start. When we lived in Alberton, MT it was just over the border from ID and it was lovely. Sounds beautiful where you live!!
Loree in ID
Thats a whole different climate down there. Unfortunately prices are skyrocketing here but I really would check out Loon Lake, Valley, Chewelah, and that area. They are also close enough to Spokane to commute if you had to. Don't let that bother you either...Spokane is a pretty small city relatively speaking.
 

·
Nohoa Homestead
Joined
·
5,398 Posts
montanabound said:
Hello, I am hoping that ya'll may have some ideas on the best places to buy a farm. My dream had always been to move to Montana and live in the pines, mountains and have a sustainable farm. We moved to MT and things just really didn't turn out...though I still love the state, it just doesn't seem like the place for us.
We are now in Idaho and though we have family here and there are a ton of farms, it lacks the mountains and trees that I want. It really is growing too fast and I don't seem to fit in with the suburanites and soccer moms.

We might have the ability in 2007 to move where ever we want to but I'm at a loss of where to go. Instead of building a new house, I really want to find an old farm house to fix up. I also would like enough land to sustain the livestock we will get. We don't need to make a profit on the farm, just sustain ourselves as hubby will be doing some building/backhoe work and I do crafts.

It sounds like a pipe dream but I know there has got to be a place somewhere that isn't growing so fast...that still enjoys the slow lane in life. So, where are some good places to start looking? We would really like to stay in the western half of the states, it seems to have the biggest land mass with the least people...for now anyways.

Loree in ID
Have you thought about Minnesota or Wisconsin? Since you obviously don't mind the cold, I'm told that people are moving out of these places in droves seeking warmer weather. I don't know about this personally.

North Carolina and East Tennessee are beautiful. People there call them "mountains" but they aren't what you are used to looking at.

Personally, I can relate to your feelings of Montana. I find the western plains states (Wyomng, Montana, Colorado) vastly overrated.

donsgal
 

·
Cheap but not free
Joined
·
386 Posts
Come to Kansas. There is always demand for what your husband does. Old farm houses are still available. Land,in the right places, is not out of reach pricewise. Plenty of room to live. Smaller rural schools are about as good as it gets for public education. Ammenities of larger towns and cities are available. Give it a thought! We enjoy it here!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,787 Posts
Id say Oregon or washington between the coast and the mountains might be a good choice
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,383 Posts
No mountains, but the northern third of MN still has reasonable land prices (Outside the Red River Valley). Just avoid the tourist areas, and be aware that you will prolly have a lot of rocks.
 

·
Bovine and Range Nerd
Joined
·
911 Posts
What about coming up north to Canada? Saskatchewan and Alberta still has plenty of space to start up a farm. Saskatchewan, I think, still has a little bit of a frontier going for it, lots of land to do you're farming, good neighbors (not that I've BEEN there, but hey.) No mountains, unlike Alta and BC, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Cheapskate, you would recommend Kansas? I was born in Stockton, don't know if you know wher that is. Have thought many times about going back. We were thinking possibly Southern Idaho but maybe I will take another look.

Montana, if you are interested in Texas. We live on the edge of the hill country and our place is for sale. 8.5 acreas with stock water, 4 bedroom, 2 bath house, hay barn and in ground swimming pool. Its lovely but we want to be North. We farmed in Colorado for 12 years before the prices were completly blown out of place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,314 Posts
LisaInN.Idaho said:
What part of Idaho are you in Loree? It must not be the north...we have lots of mountains, trees and water. One place you might want to check out is eastern WA. Colville, Kettle Falls...the towns around there are lovely and the mountains are beautiful.
I'm looking for property right now in that very area. Are we going to end up neighbors???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,314 Posts
fantasymaker said:
Id say Oregon or washington between the coast and the mountains might be a good choice
I agree, beautiful, but cold and wet + prices are absolutely ridiculous. That's why I'm selling out and moving back to eastern Washington (to be near family). I'd be dumb not to cash in on the latest boom. I figure I'll retire on what this place is worth; rich Californians are snapping up land the minute it goes on the market.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,041 Posts
DocM said:
I'm looking for property right now in that very area. Are we going to end up neighbors???
Yes we are. I live right over the ID border near Priest Lake/River. I love that area, especially the Kettle River and Kettle Falls. It's beautiful country and a nice small town feeling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
I apologize to everyone if I seem like a thread whore, but it seems like a lot of people have the same questions I do and might benefit from my experience.

You might find some good info at my moving thread

I have links, pictures, charts and a few good links to sites at the bottom of my 1st post..

Hope it helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,314 Posts
I've had some, yes, been up there looking at several places. Just haven't found one that says "buy me". I'm open, not narrowed down to specifics, something between 10 and 40 acres, water available, waterfront or nearby river or lake would be great (live on nice river now), can build, stick house would be okay, don't want a mobile unless it's just something old to live in while building. Right now it's 70 minutes to a metro area big enough for malls and culture, don't want to be farther from that. Would love to find a place near cousins/aunts in Newport. John L Scott has a really good property search engine. Found these sites too, they have nice land/home packages. I will be able to pay cash and I have an RV big enough to live in for awhile, so as long as I have fence and a barn, I'll be set.

http://www.qualityloghomes.net/

http://www.tlcmodularhomes.com/
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,041 Posts
If you move to Newport you really will be a neighbor. Maybe I'll see you in the Safeway. :) Are you from Newport originally?
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top