Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. So im trying again with another two rabbits, a little older this time, and hopefully they dont die! Im have timothy hay for them and a mineral block in their cage but im looking for suggestions as to the best pellet feed i can give them. These are class rabbits that will be bread and later used as meat. Thanks!

·
OlivYew Farm
712 Posts
Brands can vary by region due to different mills so you will likely hear differing opinions on the same brand. I currently use Manna Pro Select Series and like it. I would like to feed PenPals if it was available locally. Basically you'll want to find a pellet with alfalfa or timothy as the 1st ingredient, 16% protein, 18% + fiber, and as a personal preference no corn. Buy pellets as fresh as possible because they will lose nutrients over time.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Love manna pro but others end up with lots of large pieces of corn from bad local mill practises. Our feedstores are also rather annoying about carrying it. We actually used pelleted horse feed for awhile because they might go 4 months without rabbit pellets in stock. The new store we were thrilled to find manna gro but it didn't last. At least they still have regular manna pro.

In the end whatever you can get reliably and with consistent ingredients. You'll end up keeping what does well on your pellets and culling what doesn't until they all grow well on whatever you have. I'd prefer to at least use something with named ingredients ( forage products is not named) and no corn but there are people that have such a poor local feed system from mill to store that the rabbits do better on your really low end stuff than the inconsistency and bad batches of feeds that look better on paper. I'd still probably try to put together a pellet free whole grains diet than low end pellets but it works for some.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I completely agree with Akane--we personally feed Kent Professional--but we also show almost every weekend and love the way it gives our rabbits the finish on their coats-our rabbits have done very well on it...with that being said, it is true that you tend to keep and cull based on what your rabbits do on the particular feed you are using...
We raise our own meat rabbits for the amount of meat on the carcass, the growth rate, and most of all mothering ability, these really do not need the "fancy" feed, but they do well on it and grow exceptionally fast. I have found that the most important thing for rabbits no matter what feed you are using is to keep a consistent schedule...they are really just like any other livestock and need a routine--feed the same time everyday if you can and provide good clean fresh water daily, and sanitize feed and water containers occasionally and you should do well--I wish you the best of luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts