Best online place to buy seamless stainless steel bucket?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by AshleyB, Jun 21, 2006.

1. AshleyB

AshleyB Well-Known Member

We got our first milker today, and I need to buy a bucket. We just used a pot for the first milking, and it worked okay, but I'd like a bucket, at least four quarts. I checked Lehman's but they are on backorder. Any ideas?

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

The best thing would be a goat milking pail, which will last your lifetime and can be passed down to your grandchildren as long as it doesn't get run over by a car or something! Check at Hoegger's: http://hoeggergoatsupply.com/xcart/home.php

Or Caprine Supply: http://www.caprinesupply.com/

You will also need a milk strainer; I think the best are the ones that take 6 1/2 inch milk filters, which you can usually buy at feed stores. If your local feed store doesn't carry them, the two goat supply places above do, you just need to keep track of when you are getting low so you order in time.

I take the strainer and clean jars to the barn with me, and filter the milk just as soon as I'm done with each goat. That way it doesn't sit with hairs and bits of dirt in it (yes, I keep my goats clean, but you still get things dropping in the milk pail).

Hope this helps.

Kathleen

3. AshleyB

Thanks Kathleen. Do you milk with that lid on? I don't know if I'm a good enough shot to get it in the hole! I guess by the time it gets to me I would be right?

4. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I don't think my twenty-three-year-old milk pail has exactly the same lid as the pails being sold now, but yes, you will quickly learn to hit the hole! The first squirt is still sometimes off a bit, but the second one hits it every time.

(You do know to discard the first squirt from each teat, right?)

Kathleen

5. AshleyB

Yes, she told me to discard the first squirts.