Best Non-Electric Stove/Oven (Not a woodstove)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mommykood, Jan 12, 2005.

1. mommykood

mommykood Active Member

Hello! :)

I was wondering what the best non-electric stove/oven is? I will have NO electric, so I can't power up a glow bar or phantom loads.

With the ones that are gas, do I need gas "piping" in my homestead? Or is it gas like the LP tank that I have hooked up to my gas grill outside (that I bought at Menards for $10)?

I would love either the Pioneer Maid or the Kitchen Queen wood heating/cooking stove, but I am an amateur at wood stove cooking, and I don't want my family to starve because all I produce is burned foods! LOL :)

If I bought a non-electric gas stove/oven, it would have to be the lowest price possible, because it would basically be a "stepping stone" to the Pioneer Maid/Kitchen Queen in our future, which is expensive... :)

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks, everyone, for all your advice, knowledge, and help thus far! :)

I appreciate it!

Jen :)

2. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Will you be heating with propane I would guess? Use the smae tank, branch a line to the propane range. You will find one with pilot lighting.

--->Paul

4. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

It depends on how long you think you'll have to make do. If you don't need propane for anything else, consider a small tabletop two burner unit for a stove (they sell for under $20 at ethnic food stores here-and use propane) and then use a grill. This can be done even in winter. And then save those few hundred you'd spend on a make-do stove and add to it as fast as you can for the one of your dreams. If you are thinking it will be YEARS, then that's another story, but 6-9 months and I'd make do as cheaply as possible.

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I think living in Wisconsin one needs a power source. Just read through the latest wave of messages.

A 500 gallon propane tank can provide:

Heating. Would have to be radiant to wun without electricity.

Cooking. The stove.

Refrigeration.

Lighting. Propane lights.

Electricity. You can get stand-by generators that run on propane. I feel you will want electricity, that solar system might pop back into your plans. You run off a battery bank, let the solar trickle charge it (would about keep up with your internet setup...), and fire up the generator for a big loads and to recharge the batteries when the solar doesn't keep up.

We humans just need power these days. :) We are hooked on it.

This would probably be your best avenue to go if putting in real electricity from the power lines is not possible.

Of course, you can forgo bringing power onto your property and live very primatively. Many do. But I would choose a warmer climate for that....

--->Paul