Best NiMH AA camera batteries?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HermitJohn, Sep 20, 2006.

1. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Finally replaced my old Kodak with little used 4mp Sony camera off ebay. My old rechargable Kodak batteries wont accept enough charge anymore to work the Sony so need new set as alkalines dont last very well in camera. Any particular deals anybody has run across?

This site http://www.thomasdistributing.com/index.htm has some rated as high as 2900mAH (compared to 1450mAH on old Kodak batteries), but are they really twice as good? Or significantly better than say a 2400mAH AA? And mail order means I have to add in shipping for total cost and like most mail order small orders get stuck with disproportionate high shipping charge.

Alas there doesnt seem place on Sony to plug in an external power supply or could make my own battery pack using couple D cell nimh, they come in power upto 12000mAH. Couple of them clipped to my belt and flex cable from them to camera would give loads of reserve.

2. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

We use energizer 2500 mah. You can get them at Walmart, Target, etc with charger and extre batteries if wanted. We always carry spares with us. Good luck Tamsam

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Thats what Im using,they do a good job.You can just carry a couple extra batteries,Ive never needed em though.

I have a little Kodak 5 megapixil c-530,seems to be real easy on power needs.Im guessing I can get a good 100-150 pics on 2 batteries?
    They sure last.

BooBoo

4. HermitJohn

I'll look when I am in town again, so what kind of price are the energizer 2500mAH in a two or four pack? Little Sony only uses two AA at a time. The older Kodak used four at a time. No idea how many pics it takes on set batteries. The alkaline that came with it didnt last at all, but I have no idea how new they were or anything. And alkalines have wrong power curve for cameras anyway.

I am still amazed how actually small this camera is. Alas screen is also small and I need reading glasses to see dang tiny icons. I got kick out of seeing sticky where somebody had put tape over the flash at one point rather than turn it off in menu. I downloaded manuals and it wasnt too hard to shut off flash but certainly not intuitive.

5. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm using the energizer NiMH, some are 2000mAH and some are either smaller or larger, don't recall. Got one set of 4 with a charger at the local Fleet Farm, it was on special and included the cord to plug into the cigarette lighter in a car. I've been using them for 3 or 4 years so far, no problems.

6. HermitJohn

Ok, so far cheapest price I've found on the Energizer 2500mAH is $3 each with free shipping. That would mean $12 to get four in my hands. Is Wally World or Target cheaper? Did read on Energizer site that they only claim 500 recharges for this battery. Seems the higher the capacity the shorter the lifespan.

7. HermitJohn

Ok, finding people saying the Sanyo Industrial 2700mAH batteries are far superior. Cheapest I found them is 4pkg for $18.23 delivered or approximately $4.55 each. Still trying to find website with real world trial of various brands.

8. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

9. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

We use Powerex batteries and charger -- got them off of eBay -- I think from the same company you mentioned, Thomas Dist. They do work well, maybe a little better than the others, but I have never really ran a test to see.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

10. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I think any battery in the 2500 range you will like.Some might cycle a little faster,but really,are you a pro or a regular guy?

Hey,Im muy impressed at the thought of 500 recharges,thats darn good(I didnt know they rated anywhere near that good,amazing!)

Ive probably taken 600+ pics so far(easily) and done maybe 4 recharges,that would work out to 50000 to 75000 pics,thats hard to beat cost wise compared to alkalines,wowie!

BTW,Im using nimh rechargables in just about everything,I like the light weight too,nice in flashlights.Great tech!

BooBoo

11. wyndchym

wyndchym Active Member

Sam's Club sells a combination pack of Energizer Nimh Rechargables containing eight AA (2500mAh) and four AAA (850mAh) for $19.88.

12. HermitJohn

Thats manufacturer's best case scenerio. In my experience with the older lower capacity batteries, they may well take that many recharges but they diminish and may not be useable for any practical purpose after 75 or 100 recharges. My old nimh still take a charge and will power my cassette player for few hours but not the camera.

Also ran across another Sanyo battery just being introduced in this country, already out in Japan. Called eneloop. Its a 2100mAH nimh but it will keep a charge for up to a year where traditional nihm's self discharge relatively quickly. Now thats nice for occasional camera user like many of us, but I could only find one website selling them and they were backordered unless you bought the charger with the two batteries with it. Give it bit time and they will probably be quite readily available.

13. HermitJohn

No use for AAA batteries and dont need over 4 AA since camera only uses 2 at a time. Also no Sams Club membership. Otherwise sounds like a deal.

14. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

A friend just recommended Camedia rechargeable batteries for my new camera. His came with his Olympus. He says they are the best he ever used. I haven't found any yet to try.

15. HermitJohn

Weird, did a google and only found them sold by this British site. http://shopping.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ss_rechargeable_aa_batteries_nimh_2100.html

[​IMG]

Ok, do google for "B-01 4PE" (minus the quotes) and you get American sites selling this battery. Pricey batteries. Better be good.

16. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

Those eneloop batteries are available on eBay -- seems like they are shipping from Austrailia.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ

17. HermitJohn

Ok, found nimh "shootout" http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

But it is bit outdated and compares various mAH rated batteries together. Energizer 2300 came out on top, but no way of knowing if the Sanyo 2100 was the consumer or industrial version. Probably really needs a Consumer Reports type organization with manpower and time to do this right.

18. HermitJohn

Ok, ordered the Sanyo 2700, also signed up for newsletter and got set of 4 CTA 2400mAh for $5 more. Should be interesting comparison. Thanks to everybody that posted.