Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to build a solar-electric trike, and will try to post a photo of it tomorrow. The trike has two 12-volt, 40-watt solar panels and a 12-volt battery. It still needs a motor. I've done some looking and I like the wheel motor type, with the motor at the hub, and thinking it be on the single front wheel.
Any thoughts on whether a wheel motor would be the best choice? If so, what voltage should this be set up for? I suppose that for 24- or 36-volt I'd have to add another battery or two?
Thanks!

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
http://www.goldenmotor.com/

Voltage really depends on how fast or how far you wish to go on a charge. Personally I'd go with 36 to 48 volt. If you don't use the extra power it will be easier on the batteries so they can last longer.

Battery life will be am indirect relationship to how far you discharge them. The deeper the discharge the less cycles they will last.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
I wouldn't think a front well would have enough weight distribution on it to get proper traction so powering the rear would be better. Of course with two rear wheels that becomes a bit of a problem as well unless you power them both.

Could the motor be placed near the normal location of the crankset and simply power the conventional chain? Seems that would also simplify motor selection and installation. But what do I know as I've not researched as you have.

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
I wouldn't think a front well would have enough weight distribution on it to get proper traction so powering the rear would be better. Of course with two rear wheels that becomes a bit of a problem as well unless you power them both.

Could the motor be placed near the normal location of the crankset and simply power the conventional chain? Seems that would also simplify motor selection and installation. But what do I know as I've not researched as you have.
They have plenty of wieght on the front for traction. If anyone was really worried about this then put a front basket on it to carry the batteries.

Chain drive motors eliminate the option to pedal if you wish. Bicycles freewheel at the hub. If you try to chain drive it and keep pedal option the the pedals turn all the time that the motor does. This is dangerous to the operator as you are forced to peadal at the speed controlled by the motor.

·
Brian w
160 Posts
Chain drive motors eliminate the option to pedal if you wish. Bicycles freewheel at the hub. If you try to chain drive it and keep pedal option the the pedals turn all the time that the motor does. This is dangerous to the operator as you are forced to peadal at the speed controlled by the motor.

NOT TRUE!!! its all in the gears

a good place for info http://www.motoredbikes.com/

i get 135 mpg oh yea! why are you building it?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't think a front well would have enough weight distribution on it to get proper traction so powering the rear would be better.
That's what I used to think until I bought a separate electric trike, a Wentz brand with a Yucheng hub motor on the front. It spins a little when speeding up, otherwise gets good traction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts