Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to get some opinions from those who know. I am wanting just a couple feeders for my family and some close friends. I would like a darker/more red meat with good marbling. Also, the more bacon the better (that goes without saying I am sure). What breeds should I be on the look out for?

P.S. GOS are what I would get if I were to breed. They just look delicious and I have heard they have a good temperament.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Everything is a compromise......I think the long bellies tend to be a leaner hog, but yield the most bacon. The slower/smaller heritage breed muts tend to get better marbling with less bacon.

The biggest thing will be feed quality......I recommend the least amount of soybeans possible.

Reactions: 101pigs

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Noted. Thank you for the feedback. And just because I like them I thought I would out up a picture of a pair of breeding GOS that I find tempting. I think they are good looking hogs
Heritage GOS Female.jpg Heritage GOS Male.jpg

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Where are you located? What choices do you have in your area for feeders? Live open mkt. prices are very low at the present (15-27$ percwt.), and will cause a lot of the small growers out of business. A good place to start,is seeing if you can find someone local selling pork at the farmers markets or online. Good luck and start your search for pigs well before you need them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i raised 5 Herefords this year and the taste is exceptional. in the past it was always berks pretty good but the herefords were better. have not got my bacon back from the herefords yet though so that will be the final test. this is a pork chop from the herefords
20180901_193536.jpeg
20180819_141546.jpeg
20180820_084412.jpeg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am located about 1 hr south of Fort Worth Texas, zone 8a. There are a lot of berk and berk crosses, some Yorkshires and Hampshire's. And TONS of mutts lol. But almost all breeds are available at some point and time throughout the year if I am willing to drive a little bit, which I am. I have been interested in the Herefords too. I am looking to grab some weaners in the middle of summer so I can try my hand at butchering in the middle of winter as a reason for family and friends to come over and participate. All of this is prone to change but I figured if I wanted to do it, like you said, I would need to start way before I needed them.

·
Registered
844 Posts
We raise for are "T" herd a Berkshire Yorkshire cross, 7/8 Berk 1/8 York. But if you have your heart set on Old Spots that is What you should get and feed them right you should have some nice tasting pork.

·
Do it in the dirt
270 Posts
We have raised Red Wattle feeders, Hereford Feeders and we breed American Guinea Hogs for a few years. All were good eaters but the AGH were the best all around for us (we did have to purchase bacon elsewhere). The hams and pork butt and steaks are awesome and you will have all the lard you want. We didn't let them get huge and hard to handle, around 150-175 was butcher time. You cant go wrong with any breed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Noted. Thank you for the feedback. And just because I like them I thought I would out up a picture of a pair of breeding GOS that I find tempting. I think they are good looking hogs
View attachment 69264 View attachment 69266
I am looking at buying these claimed GOS barrows. How do they look to the trained eye? I have only raised basic whites in the past - will I notice a better meat quality in these? More fat and flavor is what I seek. Thanks

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
We raise Tamworth Berkshire crosses. Good red meat animals, slower growing the way we do it, plenty of bacon ect....good flavor...good return...

We don't use lard thus dont feed for it. However fat is very important and we do feed long enough to vet the marbling...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts