Best mashed potato recipe? :)

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by largentdepoche, Dec 9, 2006.

1. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Does anyone want to share their best way to make mashed potatoes?

Hubby decided now he wants us to buy some potatoes next time we stock up because they are cheap and he'd like some taters. I thought he hated potatoes, ah communication in our house LOL!

Thanks!

Kat

2. Pouncer

Pouncer Well-Known Member

The basics remain the same, it's the goodies each of us ads that make the difference. I prefer not to peel, just scrub really well. Boil until fork tender, drain right away, place into a large bowl.

Depending on what I have on hand, I might add:

Milk, half and half, or heavy cream. If I have some sour cream, I always add that too.
    Roasted garlic is a favorite, but since that's usually gobbled up, I have been known to toss a few peeled cloves into the cooking water, or, if I have to, pass the ground garlic powder over the bowl.
    Butter. Can't have smashed spuds without butter. My hub would add a pound if I let him, but usually at least a stick, cut into slices so it melts easier.
    Mash a little with a fork, then take hand held mixer to it, adding liquid as needed for the right consistency.

It's also pretty good using chicken broth. I generally don't salt things, but do add pepper. When I really want to change things, I add either dried mustard, or ginger.

3. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    Here's mine:

I buy Yukon Gold potatoes. Wash them and cut out any bad spots but don't peel them. Slice in half lengthwise. Put about 1 1/2 inches of water in the pan--not too much water. Add salt to taste.

Boil just until tender. Drain them, but don't drain off all of the water...that's what makes them taste good. Add canned milk--don't go overboard. Beat with an electric mixer. Add more canned milk, if needed. Whip until smooth.

That's it!

4. gottahaveagoat

gottahaveagoat Well-Known Member

I always add cream cheese.

5. via media

via media Tub-thumper

I use cream cheese, too. Sometimes I'll use half and half.

/VM

6. mwhit

mwhit Well-Known Member

I also use garlic-- usually a few cloves to the cooking water or a celery stalk, small onion and a bay leaf (remove those before mashing) and if they are going on top of a casserole and being baked I always beat in an egg. Sour cream with a bit of chopped chives is also quite tasty...

7. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I love using those small (smaller than russets) red potatoes for mashed potatoes. I think they just taste better. I like how I can wrap up the leftovers, and mash 'em again the next day with a bit more milk and they taste like I just made them. Not had any luck with any other type of potato doing leftovers.

I always just add milk and butter. I like to use garlic for something different. We had pork chops with carmelized sweet onion and mashed potatoes, applesauce with cinnamon, and a green salad for dinner tonight - yum! Those potatoes are my favorite part of the meal!

Niki

8. elliemaeg

elliemaeg Well-Known Member Supporter

I boil them in the jacket drain mash and add sour cream and some butter, salt and mash some more. My family loves them.

9. jynxt

jynxt Well-Known Member

cook taters like usual for mashed taters...I use about 5lbs for us. drain them and toss a stick of butter in the pot,dump the taters back in it and add 4oz of cream cheese and about a cup of sour cream...no milk. use a regular masher not a mixer (the slight bit of lumpyness reminds us they are real taters). add salt and pepper to taste. If I happen to be feeling real energetic I melt the butter in the pan and saute about 3 tablespoons of finely chopped onion til just turning translucent before doing the rest of the stuff.

I tried it on a dare and now my family won't eat mashed potatoes any other way and then I took these to a church potluck and ruined making regular taters for a bunch of other wives too.

10. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

Hhmm, mashed taters. We roasted 1-2 heads of garlic, to the boiled potatoes we add the roasted garlic, cream cheese, butter, possibly some sour cream, and salt and pepper. HHmm, very good as a side dish to meatloaf.

11. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Peel and boil potatoes (any kind you prefer), then drain thoroughly. Add salt, half 'n half, real butter, and my secret ingredient - Miracle Whip. Not mayonnaise, MIRACLE WHIP. Mash with mixer or hand masher. Helps if you warm up all cold ingredients in microwave before you add them. Just adjust the added ingredients to fit your taste and to get the texture you like.

12. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Potatoes from our garden we don't peel. Store bought we do (who knows where they've been). Only cooking for two here so a couple good size taters will do, add about two tablespoons of REAL butter, couple tablespoons of sour cream, maybe a little milk if the taters are dry, no garlic (that's usually in the pan gravy to go over them), and three or four slices of crumbled bacon.

13. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

I use russet potatoes, boiled whole in their skins on. When you poke 'em with a knife and try to lift 'em up and they won't stay on the knife they are done :)
    Peel, press though ricer, add one stick of butter to each 2# potatoes, adding the butter to be adsorbed by the potatoes prior to the milk makes a difference. Add salt, pepper, roast garlic or onions, chives, or whatever else you like for flavoring or not, add just enough milk/cream to get the consistency you like. Personally, my favorite flavorings are the old fashioned, salt, pepper, and of course the butter.

Hugs
    marlene

14. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Although the purists here may baulk, you might try mashing them with other root vegetables. I like mine mashed with turnip and rutabaga and sometimes parsnips. Adds a slightly more earthy taste. And I always put in a wee bit of horseradish. Just enough so you know its there. :)

15. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

I do the old familiar, and then if I'm feeling generous I'll mash them with sour cream, bacon bits, cheese, and chives and toss them in the oven to mesh all the flavors together. But they are rich so we don't do them like that very often.

16. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Mmmmm! I want mashed potatoes for dinner. Peeled, covered in water and cooked until tender, drain (save the potato water for thickening your gravy, add butter, a little salt, and enough milk to moisten them well without making potato soup out of 'em, the whip them using an electric mixer, just until smooth. Serve piping hot. Garlic mashed potatoes are good, too, but I really like plain old fashioned mashed taters with fresh cooked peas mixed in (fresh or frozen, NOT CANNED peas :p ) the very best!

17. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

A favorite around here is just boiled, drained, and mashed with a good sized knob of butter and a splash of cream.

But we also mix in roast garlic if I've roasted a joint of meat -- slice a full head of garlic in half horizontally and put in with the roast, when you carve the roast, squeeze out the roasted garlic cloves into your drained potatoes, add a knob of butter and the cream and mash.

I also make "fish cake cassarole". Make mashed potatoes (or use leftovers) and add to them a can of tuna, drained, some chopped and sauteed onions, cream, garlic, salt and pepper and a few eggs, and herbs of choice. Beat the mixture until well mixed and then spread in a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and/or grated cheese and bake until bubbly.

Mmmm... we're having mashed potatoes tonight, now... :)

18. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the great recipes and ideas! :)

I forgot the spuds when we went grocery shopping LOL! :D

Kat

19. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

DW plants blue spuds and they sure make strange looking mashed taters. They taste great. They keep real well, too.

20. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Wow you all add some odd stuff to your smashed potatoes! LOL I make mine the same way (i thought) everyone else did? Peel and cook potatoes till they just get soft enough for a fork to poke into, drain, add a bit of butter a bit of milk and a raw egg. Beat like crazy and they are fluffy, nutritious and pretty and they taste heavenly! Sis