Best long distance phone deal?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beeman, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

We started using 10-10-987 for the little long distance calling we do. Does anyone know of another/better plan?

2. sdrew

sdrew Well-Known Member

Beeman,... in my area (Southern Maine) we have Time Warner Cable who offers digital phone service. IF you have something like that available in your area, it may be worth investigating. I pay $39.95 a month for unlimited local and long distance (instate and out-of-state). There are no hidden fees,.. total monthly bill with taxes is $42.50 +-. Best deal I've found !

3. tbout

tbout Member

shoot, and I thought I had a deal, we have momentum my bill each month is 58.17 every month whether I call my son in California, sister in Maryland, son in Georgia, Aunt in Arkansas, and talk 24/7 with all the call features, call waiting, etc. sounds like you have a great deal. I hope we can find the same type of deal when we get to north Arkansas we're moving there this summer! T

4. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

The best deal we have found is prepaid phone cards from Sam's. 600 long distance minutes for $22.85 taxes included, that's less than $.04 per minute. My wife and daughter talk every day, and even though they live less than 10 miles from us it's long distance. And, if you use plastic, it can be recharged by a phone call.

5. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

Yes, I bought one from Sam's about 4 years ago and have been recharging the same card ever since. I don't even have to take the card with me anymore, since I know the PIN number by heart.

Recharge with a credit card up to 2500 minutes at a time for 3.7 cents. You can recharge smaller amounts, I think as few as 200 minutes, and the 3.7 cent rate stays the same.

There are no connection fees, so you really get to use the minutes. The only additional fee is if you use a payphone, and I think they ding the card for 8 or 10 minutes for a pay phone call.

If you aren't a member of Sam's Club just ask a friend who is to pick one up for you.

6. Nevada

One more thing. In a similar thread at this forum some time ago, someone posted this link:

https://www.onesuite.com/rates.asp

It is supposed to be 2.9 cents per minute. I never tried it so I'm not positive about connection fees or anything.

That said, the person who posted the link seemed quite happy with the service.

7. Lisa A

Lisa A Well-Known Member

I've used onesuite for the last couple of years and I'm very happy with it
    (family is all 3000 miles away, plus I telecommute to a company in the same
    state but long distance). We pay 3.5 cents/minute since we're not in a
    local number area, still saves us a bundle. I don't think there's a connection
    fee. It works from anywhere, though you can set up your house to have the
    pin automatically added. They do charge a 50 cent surcharge to use the
    service from a pay phone.

The only problem is that when you get to the end of the amount you've
    prepaid, you get a one-minute warning and cut off...

They also have amazing international rates.

https://www.onesuite.com/rates.asp

It is supposed to be 2.9 cents per minute. I never tried it so I'm not positive about connection fees or anything.

8. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Usadatanet.net is my best source of long distance, 1 877 532 8263. $1.50 per call,no monthly fees, a one time charge of $10.00 to start. No calls - no bills. $2.00 to Canada, unlimited time; you can talk for 11 hours for $1.50 with these people, they also offer internet service, 10 per month or 15 with accelatorter.

9. bare

bare Head Muderator

I imagine it was probably me bragging up onesuite. I've been with them now for a couple years and it is just as advertised...2.9 cents a minute! Most of my long distance calls are in-state and they used to cost a bundle, until I found these folks. Now the price is the same... instate or out.

I have never consumed the 10 dollar buy in in the 6 months allowed. It was just a couple years ago that my long distance bill would average 50-60 dollars a month!

I love onesuite!

10. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

You didn't say how much you talk on the phone. We tried various calling card plans (Sams, etc). With 3 teenage daughters and friends all over the US (military family!), we went with unlimited LD with our local phone company (which happens to be Quest -- tried ATT but Quest beat their deal). Ours is $17.50 per month plus the local phone costs. Someone is always on the phone here (plus eldest has a cell phone) -- we are always over 3000 minutes per month LD!
    Check out your local phone company. The land based service has become VERY competitive to try to compete with the unlimited-calling cell phone market.
    BW

11. Nevada

I just recharged my card. I was mistaken on the per minute fee of the Sam's Club card. It isn't 3.7 cents per minute, it is 3.47 cents per minute. By the way, the card is issued through AT&T.

12. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

mci phone cards from costco 2.9 cents a minute 670 minutes for 20 bucks.