Best lantern--Best Fuel

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by amelia, Oct 23, 2004.

1. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

For a safe and relatively smokeless lantern to be used primariliy indoors, what would you choose?

2. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

I use regular oil lamps (of different brands/types) and just use the store bought oil. You want to make sure it is 100 percent pure if you want it to be smokeless. I also have one olive oil lantern/lamp. It works just as well, but around here olive oil doesn't come cheap so I don't use it a whole lot.

check out this site, they are a great resource for homesteaders/Amish/Mennonite supplies...http://www.lehmans.com/

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Not Smokless I used Coleman Dual Fuel.But if I was going to go with out Electric again I would go with Propain Lights all through the house.Same on Refrigerator.

big rockpile

4. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

I like the Alladin lamps because they are very bright.

5. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I have always used Coleman white gas lanterns when the power goes out or when camping.(very bright white light)but you do have to keep them pumped up.However they do make a C-O2 devise that you can screw on them to keep the pressure up.(never used them though)
    The new ones with one control knob, light much easier, and with out smoking up every thing.But do not leave them burning and let them run completely out of fuel.Or the knob sticks/freeze open.When you force it to turn it off it will never work perfect agin.I have no idea what is up with this,but i have messed up two like that this year.They still work but there finkey to get to run wide open.
    Cation when using them indoors i read some where that white fuel and gas puts off to much Carbon Monoxide when it Burns to be safely used indoors.However they did mention just cracking a window to let in some fresh air.I have used them indoors a few times haven't died yet,so im thinking there not to unsafe.The large model will burn about 10hrs on high.It holds about three cups of fuel.1 gallon of fuel, 1dollar for cheap stuff 2.99 for Coleman brand.Always empty the tank when storing them for any length of time or the tank will rust inside.Rust and lanterns do not mix.
    Cation! The cook stoves are definitely are not meant for indoor use! I would only use one of those if i could placed it in front of an open window.Also be careful when using white gas,for some reason maybe its just me.You want to open the gas top while the darn thing is running to see how much fuel is in it.Don't do it!!! :eek:

Propane is also burns clean (also bright white light).Also doesnt put off any CM when it burns.But the fuel bottles cost 2+dollars,and only last about 16hrs..But you could buy the type that mount on the wall in campers/and RVs,and run them off a big tank out side.
    Thats most likely the route id take if you can buy them cheap enough.

We also use some old glass lamps at times when the power is off.We run them off kerosene instead of lamp oil.Kerosene also doesn't put off CM when it burns but it does smoke if you don't get it adjusted properly.There not very bright (low yellow) but you can see to get around.For safety if you decide to go that route id buy the metal framed ones like they used to use out doors in the good old days.

And buy all means buy an ABC fire extinguisher also! Just in case! ;)

6. Anataq

Anataq Well-Known Member

I have three Petromax BrytLyt cp500 lanterns, they are awesome. Super bright, I run them on Kerosene, however they will run any type of fuel you can think of. If you use lamp oil the Brytlyt may have even less odor- there is very little with the kersosene. THese lanterns are very well made, except no imitation of it, because I have another lantern that kind of looks like my Brytelyt, but is no where near the same lantern. They are not cheap though, I paid $135 a piece locally, I think you can find them around $100.00 on the net now. I also would agree with the above posts about Aladin Lamps being a good choice, they are not nearly as brite, but are beautiful and of good quality. I have only one Aladin at this point it's a Genie I believe.

-Anataq

7. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

I have all three kinds. Lamp oil is the most economical but, at least the one I have doesn't provide good light for reading for instance. My propane lantern does provide good light but the little cylinders get expensive if you use them much. And I have a dual fuel Coleman that burns unleaded gasoline or Coleman Fuel. The propane lantern and the Coleman do have fumes that need to be vented. I haven't noticed any problem with lamp oil in that area. And I haven't had smoking problems with any of them. My favorite would be the dual fuel Coleman, provides good light and is fairly economical.
    Actually, the best lights I have are 12 volt. The sun charges a 12 volt battery and here in AZ there is no shortage of sunshine. I have three ceiling fixtures, one in the kitchen, one in the bath and one in the bedroom. I have never run the battery down, even with a 12 volt radio or television in the evenings.

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Guess I've used about everything non electric. My favorite is a double mantle propane lantern. I use the 40# bottles and an extension hose. Mid winter the bottle lasts me close to a month. (Your mileage may vary :) ).

9. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

all depends on the situation- if you have access to propane, then you can hook up lights, fridge and range to a large tank.If it's emergency lighting only, then a rechargeable battery powered lantern may be the most convenient.I am on the grid, butwe have winter power outages that generally are fixed in a few hours or less,, so I have both oil lamps on the mantle and a couple of coleman white gas lanterns and a propane lantern.
    If power outages were more common and longer duration, I think I'd pick up a little generator- it would keep the fridge and freezer working as well, as provide light

10. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

11. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

wow,throw in some ni-cad rechargable batteries and a 20 dollar solar charger and thats a nice little setup.Time to go to office depot I see.
    Thanks, I see some great christmas gifts for offgrid friends here.
    BooBoo

12. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Do you want bright light and silence when the "lights" are on? If so, get use an Aladdin lamp. The other types of portable lamps/lanterns suggested Coleman, propane, PetroMax, etc. all use compressed fuels which make constant noise like a jet aircraft taking off.

13. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Aladdin Kerosene Lamp, with milk-glass shade (modern).

This hanging 60 candle power lamp is quiet and gives a very mellow light with out electricity, and yet is very bright, with good visibility below the lamp. Keep it very low at first or the mantel will get black. Never leave the lamp unattended.

We also use, regular glass oil lamps, and electric. In the Aladdin, you MUST burn Kerosene ONLY. We used to have three aluminum table Aladdin, with shade with wilderness scenes on them - we liked those a lot too. I am thinking about getting another aluminum table model. You should keep a spare box of mantels around, if you are "out", like we are - we keep a spare dozen, just in case.

Lehman's is a good place to get Aladdin lamps.

Alex

14. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

This was my first LED flashlight. Gave around $8 at Wally World. It is cheaply made plastic housing (China made of course). Its bright enough to get around house with. Maybe read. $3.29 is good price. Dont expect miracles, but ok flashlight. Did have little trouble with some internal electric connection as it would go out once in a while and I had to shake it to get light on again. Havent used mine in some time as its now replaced with a small $4 all aluminum LED copy of a mag light that works much better and I finally even got a big aluminum China copy of mag with D cells for around $12. It produces quite a bit of light.

15. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

The Energizer Folding LED compact lantern looks to me to be as well built as the popular pop-on lights that uses 4 AA batteries. I'm thinking about taking one and putting it into a Mason jar to waterproof it and put it down at the pump house. In a conversation with a friend in Georgia He said that for $3.29 he bought 12 and has them placed around the house and barn.

I can't read by mine (old eyes I guess) but can see rather well otherwise around the room. Would make a good power outage out type light.

Wonder how well they'd hold up to camping adventures?

16. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I have kerosene lanterns and can smell them. I have used Coleman fuel lanterns and can smell them even outside. I hate the hissing sound of other fuels (amen, Cabin Fever). Generators are noisy and highly irritating. They irritate neighbors down the road as well-yikes!

I prefer using high quality candles and battery powered devices. Rechargable with solar is A-OK.

I have a wick setup that burns olive oil if I ever got desperate, but then I get olive oil very cheaply at ethnic markets ($7 for a large 2 liter can).

I have an Energizer headlamp with white and red LED light choices that I love. It cost under $13 at WalMart. Batteries last a long time and I can read by the light that is aimable. There are several new ones at WalMart as I looked at them today, but can't give practical advice on those other brands.

Campmor has some good options for LED setups and solar rechargers.

17. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Don't use anything too volatile in these lanterns, it is not safe to do so. Here is a link to something to explain this:http://lampguild.org/Default.html?Defaulttext.shtml&1
    The problem, if you look for what someone named Neil, who is a SERIOUS collector of these lamps, said, you will find out why they are unsafe with fuels such as gasoline.
    Just a safety tip. :)
    Search that Q&A page's archives, and you will find out about modern petromax's exploding! I personally would use less volatile fuels such as kerosene, or just use something like an old Coleman type lantern, since they are designed FOR gasoline!

18. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

We don't like lamps that constant upkeep like lanterns with mantels.
    Have an alladin but never use it because it really isn't as bright as they say. It was very disappointing for us. Plus you have to really babysit it so that you don't ruin mantels or run out of fuel, thus burning up your wick.

We like the #2 or #3 burner for regular kerosene or oil lamps. Cheap and easy and with 3 or 4 lamps we have all the light we need. We use kerosene. They don't smoke as long as don't turn them up to high.