·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think?

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
I think it is all about preference and location.

I have a son who can pop squirrels from 50 yards with a Colt AR 15 in 22 caliber. I can't and don't.
My wife has little hand strength to manage the trigger pull and weight of most firearms, including pistols.

It is a tastes great/less filling debate; great for discussion but there is no #1.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it is all about preference and location.

I have a son who can pop squirrels from 50 yards with a Colt AR 15 in 22 caliber. I can't and don't.
My wife has little hand strength to manage the trigger pull and weight of most firearms, including pistols.

It is a tastes great/less filling debate; great for discussion but there is no #1.
Absolutely. That was basically a point of the article. The hard part is to find one gun do do all or most things good enough. It depends on your situation, but there are some generalizations to be made.

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
If I could only own one gun it would be a good .22 rimfire bolt action rifle. Can kill any small game, dispatch livestock and not recommended but could even kill a deer or coyote in a pinch.

If I could only have two guns, I would have the above .22 rifle plus a good 12ga pump shotgun. Loaded with slugs the shotgun will handle all big game, plus it gives you the versatility to shoot fowl and game birds.

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
I have several 22 caliber rifles and handguns that are copies of full size firearms.
I used them to help familiarize my wife and kids to certain weapons.
They are also good alternatives for practicing and plinking when you want to retain muscle memory without having to pay a bundle for ie 45 caliber ammunition.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have several 22 caliber rifles and handguns that are copies of full size firearms.
I used them to help familiarize my wife and kids to certain weapons.
They are also good alternatives for practicing and plinking when you want to retain muscle memory without having to pay a bundle for ie 45 caliber ammunition.
For sure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I could only own one gun it would be a good .22 rimfire bolt action rifle. Can kill any small game, dispatch livestock and not recommended but could even kill a deer or coyote in a pinch.

If I could only have two guns, I would have the above .22 rifle plus a good 12ga pump shotgun. Loaded with slugs the shotgun will handle all big game, plus it gives you the versatility to shoot fowl and game birds.
There isn't really one good option for everything. Shotguns are great for close range. Most shotguns just don't shoot slugs well, and most don't have sights or a scope. Slugs are powerful, but the low sectional density means bad aerodynamics and poor accuracy.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
If I had to choose the one best gun for me, it would be a stainless 5" Ruger Redhawk in .44 magnum. I can wear it on my belt, so it is always there if I need it. I have over one thousand rounds on hand, and components to load five thousand more. A well placed shot will take anything I would need to harvest for meat, including cattle. At twenty feet I can shoot the head off a Rattlesnake. If I could add other guns, they would be a bolt action Marlin .22 magnum, (ten thousand rounds on hand) and a Marlin Mod 336 in 30-30 (five hundred rounds on hand) for a saddle gun. If the time ever came that I really needed a semi auto center fire .22, that's an AR-15 with thirty round mags. I could fire one shot with any one of my homestead guns, and I would have one.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's almost like you would want a different one for each person, since preference is so personal. As long as it does what you need it to do and you're comfortable with it, I'd say that's the best one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's almost like you would want a different one for each person, since preference is so personal. As long as it does what you need it to do and you're comfortable with it, I'd say that's the best one.
Somewhat. I do try to weigh it by cost and function first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I had to choose the one best gun for me, it would be a stainless 5" Ruger Redhawk in .44 magnum. I can wear it on my belt, so it is always there if I need it. I have over one thousand rounds on hand, and components to load five thousand more. A well placed shot will take anything I would need to harvest for meat, including cattle. At twenty feet I can shoot the head off a Rattlesnake. If I could add other guns, they would be a bolt action Marlin .22 magnum, (ten thousand rounds on hand) and a Marlin Mod 336 in 30-30 (five hundred rounds on hand) for a saddle gun. If the time ever came that I really needed a semi auto center fire .22, that's an AR-15 with thirty round mags. I could fire one shot with any one of my homestead guns, and I would have one.
Sure, but the Redhawk runs $800 used, and the ammo isn't cheap. It's a nige gun, but most people can't shoot a pistol very well. I can get a good rifle for half of the cost, and a rifle covers more scenarios than a pistol. But basically, buy something in your price range that will do all the work you might have for it.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I wasn't recommending a gun for "most people", I was talking about my personal choice. When I bought my Redhawk, they sold for less than three hundred new. And I can load five hundred rounds of ammo for under one hundred dollars. My hat, my boots, and my guns, are three things I do not purchase based on price. I buy the best, and pay the price. A old Master Guide who I once worked for in Alaska told me this, you can pay with money, or pay with your life. Which do you value more?

"Most people" couldn't hit a barn if they were in it, regardless of the type of weapon used. So a cheap single shot shotgun might be the best choice.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
most people can't shoot a pistol very well
Someones inability to shoot is their fault, not mine. I once taught a nine year old girl to shoot a Colt 1911 .45 auto. A year later she was winning first place trophies in the open women's class.

·
Registered
904 Posts
When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail! The same should apply to guns. It's much more realistic to ask what three guns should every homesteader have? Everyone should have a .22RF, a handgun, and a hunting rifle/shotgun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail! The same should apply to guns. It's much more realistic to ask what three guns should every homesteader have? Everyone should have a .22RF, a handgun, and a hunting rifle/shotgun.
It is, but more people ask about just one at first.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I wish I could have an answer. Interior or exterior? There's not just one size fits all. What type do you feel the most comfortable with right now?

·
Registered
217 Posts
For me it's more like what mood am I in at the moment.

Also, can the zombies run, or are they just wandering around.

If wandering around, a good frying pan is all you need.

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
Too many variables. Take Zombies for instance.
A dullert voodoo Zombie can be neutralized with a frying pan to the head or a dagger to the brain.
Everyone knows that. They even teach it at college.
Rage zombies, WW Z zombies and of course the robot pirate zombie (ir the Berkley long hair and cave/basement variety) that parachuted down during the early Portland protests require specific tools and methods.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts