Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats your favorite breed or mix for a homestead? or what breed or mix do you think would be a great addition to a homestead? maybe give a little info as to why :p

I think my 2 terrier mixes would be great, the female would kill the rodents and the male would keep me warm at night. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Collies. Collie means, literally, good farm dog. They will stay close to home (unless you leave them all day outside, in which case they may look for something to do); adaptible to different types of living; are easily trained; want to please; will bark at strangers, and if pushed, will bite. They will herd your livestock, but should be trained to otherwise leave them alone.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Depends on what you want in a dog. My last dog was the best vermin killer I ever had. He was a Rhodesian ridgeback redbone hound cross with a dab of Akita and lab thrown in. He killed everything up to and including coyotes and ran off anything bigger. He didn't even acknowledge the existance of poultry, and he was people friendly, but he had a great deep bark that would scare people until they found out he was friendly as a puppy.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I love border collie or australian shepard crosses, I've got one of each and they are very attentive and eager to please. I haven't trained mine to help herd, they just learn to leave the critters alone, sometimes they cheat a little though, and to stalk them. my favorite thing about them, as simple as it seems, is that all I have to do is whistle or call and the come a'runnin. any other dog I've had would only come reliably when they thought they were getting in the car or getting food. they are quick to get theri hackles up when something is not right , and I am sure the older one would die for me if neccessary, yet they adore attention from my almost three year old daughter.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Kuvasz. Because they are smart thinking dawgs. They learn the perimeters and boundaries of your property with good owner guidance. The breed goes way back as a livestock guardian and of those who it's meant to protect. A great companionable dog. Loyal and trustworthy. Large, and with keen senses to drive back intruders away from the immediate home range the dog has established. Curious about new things on the stead such as if anything has moved or look 'different'. With good breeding, not an agreesive attack dog, but will put down intruders threatening harm. White, easy to see on the stead distant....except in the winter snow. lol
Solid protective coat from the elements, including cold....but, a dog that suffers in continual heat without having a good cooling source such as a pond to jump in.
Virtually odourless.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Oh, now you've got me going.

My Pitt mix, Bowie, will lie under a shady tree and let baby chicks roost on his back. Only trouble is he likes to groom them and knocks them right off their stick-like legs with one swipe of the doggie tongue, lol. He also thought our goats were part of his pack and never troubled them... he's also friendly as can be, but has that deep cannon sounding bark that makes people think twice.
He shows remarkable restraint around other dogs that try to start stuff with him; the itty bitty rat dogs just make him look up at me with a "you have GOT to be kidding me!" but the larger ones he tells to get moving, particularly when one wanders into our campsite after dusk.
We have *ahem* six dogs, and all have earned their supper once or twice, but Bowie is the golden child. Not even the alpha dog, go figure. He's ten months old and such a joy... never thought I'd trust a pitt or pitt mix, but he's opened my eyes. We own his brother too, and while Archer's a sweet dog, he's a total fool with poultry. *sigh*

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Our older dog was dropped off at our house and I found her under the car. She was so scared and whining. She's had nothing but love ever since from us and she will be eternally grateful. We couldn't have a better dog if we'd hand picked her and paid a lot of money for her. We can't leave our outside shoes by the door. She'll take one, sometimes both, out where she lays in the yard at night. She never chews on it, just lays by it. We have a younger Jack Russell-Beagle mix. Our older dog has trained her well.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I like any mutt, they all have great personality, or maybe its dogity??? Hounds are great, shepards are loyal, and setter mixes are really dumb, but are good at herding ducks or chickens and pointing out cats.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
Well, it sure wasn't my Afghan hound!

The basenji wasn't really up for the job, either ... LOL

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
Wow, when I first saw this question I thought "That's like asking a favorite color and expecting one correct answer".

I have six dogs. Two are LGD's (Maremmas), two are PitX's who guard me and my home, and two are lap dogs who I adopted the day they were to be euthanized. All depends on what you expect from the dog.

·
gracie88
913 Posts
Well, my favorite was my English Mastiff. She was very careful with kids and "our" animals and helped me raise a lot of foster puppies and kitties. She was extremely vigilant about keeping varmints out, always a bit of a surprise to see her in attack mode.

My best was probably my aussie. Not much sense of humor in that dog, she was always working, even playing ball. She learned to herd though, just picked it up, we never taught her, she never strayed, knew when to bark, when to be quiet, and always went way out in the field to do her business, never left piles in the yard :)

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,607 Posts
Aussies! We have two and will never go to another breed( I have had several other breeds)

Smart, loving well behaved. My male always tries to do his business in the horse pile. They do love to be part of the family.

·
Premium Member
19,984 Posts
My Great Pyrenees are wonderfully useful for guarding livestock and people alike and they keep the predators away. Our Border Collie/Aussie, Jip is my baby. Smart, loyal, incredibly good natured, and already helping with the sheep.

Forgot to add that the Pyrs are lovable too:

Jip after playing with Duckie in the river (we tried to explain that he isn't a retriever):

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HilltopDaisy said:
Wow, when I first saw this question I thought "That's like asking a favorite color and expecting one correct answer".
thats why I said for fun, not looking for breed suggestions, just everyones opinion. :p

sugarbush I'm with you I love me a mutt.

lol willow_girl, sighthounds probly aren't the best bet when dealing with small critters. :cute:

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
My girls!

Beagle mix, like Daisy here...

Or Doberman mix, like Muffin...

Or German Shepherd-Chow mix, like Squirt...

All rescued dogs. Muffin and Squirt were abandoned puppies, Daisy was lying in the road after being hit by an SUV. Daisy is my baby, Muffin is my good girl, and Squirt reminds us so much of an imp, we gave here a last name, too: Squirty O'Feral.

Oh, BTW, we know Squirt's breeds becuase I saw her being conceived in our driveway. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts