best goat wormer

Discussion in 'Goats' started by robmiap, Jun 25, 2004.

1. robmiap

robmiap Member

I know this has been asked before, so please bare with me. Wormers for the goats, I jsut ordered Hoeggers herbal wormer of year round use. we have used tripel trust powder wormer from our feed mill. but the vet thinks this doesn't work too well. I saw that Cindy mentioned Ivomec injectible. I have seen this at TSC, I think, but can someone tell me what the dosage is? and is this a twice a year wormer? Or what do you all think is the best? thanks Mia

2. jwcinpk

jwcinpk Well-Known Member

Just went to my vet yesterday and she recommended Ivomec injectable. Dosage she uses is 1cc every 50lbs. This is not the dosage on the box, but she said goats are tough so you double the dosage. She said she prefers to inject SQ but some give it orally. She says they will get it quicker if it is injected.
    She also said to switch atleast every 6 months and to worm every 2 months. In my area either Fenbendazole or Levamisole also work.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

1% Injectable Ivermectin, given orally at 2cc per 100 pounds
    Valbazen 10cc per 100 pounds given orally, works well for worming kids for tapes.
    Cydectin Cattle pour on given orally at 1cc per 22 to 25 pounds.

However, unless you either do your own fecals or have them done, you really have no way of knowing which wormer to use.

4. #1 DogMom

#1 DogMom Well-Known Member

Mia,
    If you have the Hoeggers catalog then you have seen the independent study results as reported by United Caprine News. Their herbal wormer was put up against Ivomec. The results are in there. I personally have been using the Herbal wormer for over 5 years with excellent results. I take fecal samples in 2x per year to my vet and he is always amazed. I use the herbal wormer and DE. Hoeggers also has an excerpt from the Nov. issue of Goat Rancher Magazine about the over use of these chemical wormers that are NOT designed for use in goats. The Hoeggers have been using their own herbal wormer for 69 years. :D

Leanna

5. jim/se kansas

jim/se kansas Well-Known Member

I just started using Hoeggers herbal wormer last week. One teaspoon for six feedings per goat and then one and a half teaspoons one time a week.
    Hope this helps.
    Jim

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter