Best Generator?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by scorpian5, Aug 11, 2006.

1. scorpian5

scorpian5 Well-Known Member

It is starting to feel like fall is here and I have been wanting to buy a small generator that will power my outdoor wood boiler this winter if the power goes out. I will also use it at my cabin but only for lighting. I have seen a KIPOR brand at a local fair that seemed nice it look just like the small HONDA generator. I would prefer to spend under $600

2. dodgewc

dodgewc Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, pep boys sells a decent 6kw generator for about 600.

3. ponyboy123

ponyboy123 Well-Known Member

Always nice to go with a honda when possible. Can't get much for 600 bukks though. What is the max kw you want? If it more of a camp gen I would go cheap and take my chances. For back up for heat I might spend a little more and go for realiablity. I have 2 briggs and straton here, 8kw and 6.5kw one for house and one for garage, also a 16kw Hatz deisel to run the water and heat in the barns and a 1kw honda knock off for using power tools round the ranch. Power goes off here a lot and can be off for days so I try to be prepared. So far all 4 have done there job with no problems.

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

A number of places are now selling small wattage generators for about $200.
    My local Ace Hardware store sells them.

I think Homier.com has them and probably Cummins Tools.

I wouldn't count on them to do much or last very long, but it doesn't sound like you would need much of a genset.

How about powering a 12 volt alternator with a small gas engine to charge a battery or several, and then using a simple invertor. Used or small amp rebuilt alternators are pretty reasonable. You may already have a gas engine you could use. $100 will buy a Vector inverter that should serve your purpose. A battery bank with the invertor should let the outdoor unit run for quite awhile so that the genset wouldn't have to run continually if it doesn't take much power.

5. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

I'm helping my son-in-law in his Generator business.... Honda, Yamaha, Wingo, some other brands.

His web page is www.huntsvillegenerator.com

He does not do super cheap generators, but you can look at the page, and call him to see what you might need to get to run what you want to run.

But, probably will end up costing a bit more than you are allowing.

But looking at the web page may give you information.

Angie

6. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

At $600, you probably won't be able to purchase a Honda generator. You will undoubtedly be able to purchase the numerous cheaper (and less reliable) generators.

The idea of a generator is backup power in case of inclement weather/disaster/etc. Hondas are notoriously reliable. They generally start quickly in temperatures ranging from -25 to 125 degrees. The same can't be said for all its competitors, particularly those on the low end.

You get what you pay for.

7. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

Not to steal the thread but what type (fuel wise) do you recommend for cold climate (thinking -45). I would think diesel but :shrug: I do know I'd want a honda

Don -->wishing it was feeling like fall here instead of dog days :rolleyes:

8. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

now i am confused...gets -45 in MO. I'm sure never moving there lOL. we have had 2 coleman 6250 generators and 1 generac 4000ES generator. All three are still running after some minor repairs and each has almost 3000 hours on it. Yup they use a bit of oil now, one did need a short block after we let the oil get low and it put a piston through its side, one (with brushes) goes through brushes every six months (2.00). Point is you really dont need to spend a fortune on a generator if you dont want too. All those expensive brands mean you are paying for the name too dont forget. DH had a total of 4 different honda generators in his work truck and he says he would not give spit for any of them. My favorite is the little generac electric start that we got at home depot for 729.00 (more pricy due to the electric start) the others start easily when it is not -45! during winter we switch to synthetic light weight oil so I can pull the cord. the colemans were each about 550.00.

9. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

no it doesn't get that cold here. But We plan to move north eventually

10. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I think -14 is the coldest I've seen it here.

I know the Cheap Generators just don't hold up.Thats when I decided that I just wasn't going to worry about having Electric.

big rockpile

11. poorboy

poorboy Well-Known Member Supporter

1977 got to -24 beaverdam area, riply co. mo., no generator, wood stove and kero lamps whenever power was out...:-}

12. punkrockpilot

punkrockpilot Well-Known Member

I have used the same Coleman powermate 4400 watt with a B/S motor for about ten years now with no trouble. My only secret is that I check and change the oil ALOT.

13. greg273

greg273 Well-Known Member

I've had good luck so far with my Craftsman 5500watt generator. Built my entire house using its electricity, and it hasnt failed me yet. Had it for 3 years, use it about twice a week. I think I paid under $400 for it.

14. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We have 2 Honda's and neither of them are worth much in the very cold temps. Our Generac ran thru everything and is now on wheels to be hauled wherever we need gen power on our place. Our new Kohler is terrific but we haven't had any extreme cold yet to test that aspect of it.