Best general pupose home Vet book?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Old Jack, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

Anyone have any recomendations for a good, what to do before the vet comes or what you can do to save vet bills book, that deals with general homesteading animals? (from chickens to cows, and everything in between)

Thanks

2. daycab

daycab Well-Known Member

The Merck Veterinary Manual is exactly what you're looking for Jack. It's over 2000 pages, but is well organized, compact, and easy to use. The ISDN # for the eigth edition is 0-911910-29-8. This is the 1998 edition, so a newer one is probably available. You may be able to find a used one on amazon, alibris, or half.com.
    Where are you in West Virginia? We're in the Eastern Panhandle in Charles Town, getting ready to go farther west into Hampshire County.

3. QueenB04

QueenB04 Well-Known Member

I have to agree the Merck Vet manual is #1 in my opinion. I worked very closely for a vet for 4 years, and still work on cases on occasion. The vet manual can be a little technical sometimes for people not familiar with the field, but it other wise tends to be very user friendly, very thorough, and very complete. The other recomendation I have is 'How To Be Your Own Veterinarian Sometimes' very good, and helpful, good to have on the shelf. Merck is also available online, and as a CD for the comp.

4. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

I third the Merck Manual suggestion. Also, if you get a copy of Tabers Cycolpedic Medical Dictionary you will find it very helpful. It is intended principally for human use but a great many of the terms and definitions are the same. With it you will be figure out almost anything in the Merck Manual.

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Heck, I can't even pronounce half the words in the Merek's Vet Manual. Definitely beyond the scope of most homesteaders IMHO.

Keep a lookout for:

- Veterinary Guide for Farmers by G. W. Stamm
    - Herbal Handbook for Farm & Stable by Juliette de Bairacli Levy
    - Keeping Livestock Healthy: A Veterinary Guide by N. Bruce Haynes, D.V.M.
    - Caring for Livestock: A Veterinary Handbook by Jaime Isaac Reible
    - A Veterinary Guide for Animal Owners by C. E. Spaulding D.V.M.

Of those, I would highly recommend the last one. Dr. Spaulding writes in kitchen English. I agree with flyleaf: "Dr. Spaulding describes his book as a bridge between animal owners and veterinarians - a guide that will help livestock and pet owners to be better equipped to prevent many problems, spot others early enough to control and rectify difficulties and know what to do in a crisis situation."

6. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

Thanks for the book advice Daycab!
    I'm in the western panhandle/north central part of the state.
    Between Parkerburg to the west, Clarksburg to the east and New Martinsville to the north.

7. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

Thanks to everyone for the advice I'll check out these suggestions on Amazon.