Best Gate

Discussion in 'Goats' started by AllWolf, Oct 10, 2006.

1. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

What is the best Gate to use for a driveway to keep people out and goats in?

We are also fixing to get a gate for the driveway but not 100% what be the best. We want something that is tough but not so heavy can't lift it. We maybe dreaming on that part. :rolleyes: We also want where we can lock it when gone off our land. We like the very first one.

Here is the 2 gates we are looking at..
    Heavy duty pipe gates

Or

Standard Farm Gate

Tell me what you think about them. My gate for driveway has to be 16foot long.

Thanks for the help and advice. :)

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I use one with a "cattle panel" welded to it. It keeps people and dogs out and sheep and lambs in quite well TSC has them

3. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

This is kind of like what we use:
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/detail.asp?pcID=4&paID=1028&sonID=364&page=1&productID=15513

Ours are same type, but the heavier tubing, and they're red. They're also on the TSC website, but there's no picture. Anyway, we have these at the pasture entrances and at the driveway entrance. We use a gate latch like this:
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/detail.asp?pcID=4&paID=1028&sonID=363&page=1&productID=15504

It can also be padlocked if you wanted to. So far, so good. I'd love to get an automatic opener one for the driveway like the rich folk. :) .... some day....

4. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Around here the mudder truck and 4 wheeler folks just rip those gates down or bend them so badly they are junk.

Whatever you go with make sure it can't just be lifted off the hinge like some I've seen.

5. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Thanks for all the help on gates. We may end up going with the first one because it has like a panel in the middle and will keep dogs and other animals out and our goats in..

Thanks for everything.. Just now got to get our post gates and the cable that has a key to use as a latch..