Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking into getting 2 or 3 small ducks for our food garden, and was considering call ducks, but I haven't been able to find call ducklings anywhere online or nearby where I live.. We're in central Texas, so if anyone knows of a place with some call ducks or ducklings on hand, please let me know. Otherwise, does anyone have any other recommendations for a small garden duck for pest control?

Thanks!

·
North of the Hi-Line
1,096 Posts
Well, I've never raised calls before, and one reason why, is they FLY!!! They also serve few purposes as far as "homesteading" is concerned. I'm sure they are enjoyable little creatures, but for my time, money, ease of care, and enjoyment.... it's Khaki Campbells all the way baby! Not to big, doesn't fly, active foragers, entertaining, and they drop a boat load of eggs! I usually mix in some pretty Rouens for color contrast and meat. I'm sold for life on these Campbells. Been probly over 10 years of keeping them, and I'm still as happy with them now as I was the first year I got them. Sorry if I went against your decision of breed, I apologize, I just want to offer an alternative suggestion. Joel

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I've never raised calls before, and one reason why, is they FLY!!! They also serve few purposes as far as "homesteading" is concerned. I'm sure they are enjoyable little creatures, but for my time, money, ease of care, and enjoyment.... it's Khaki Campbells all the way baby! Not to big, doesn't fly, active foragers, entertaining, and they drop a boat load of eggs! I usually mix in some pretty Rouens for color contrast and meat. I'm sold for life on these Campbells. Been probly over 10 years of keeping them, and I'm still as happy with them now as I was the first year I got them. Sorry if I went against your decision of breed, I apologize, I just want to offer an alternative suggestion. Joel
Actually, Khaki Campbells were one of the other duck breeds I've beed looking at! They look great!

·
Expect the unexpected
2,067 Posts
Khaki Campbells, yes. I like my hens. They lay nice eggs :)
Not sure what you mean by a food garden ? If you let ducks loose in the garden,
trust me, they will eat bugs, the vegetables, and also the plants. Mine love zucchini
and I plan on planting them quite a few this year.

I also have Cayugas. Mine have not started to lay yet. I hope soon.

Call ducks. I have some and plan on breeding in the spring. They are hard to find.
Yes they fly but they know when they sneak out and human spots them, they
better beat feet for the gate. I hope to build them a tighter kennel yard this spring.
I like them to be with the bigger ducks because of the kiddie pool set up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts