Best/Easiest animal poo for composting

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by pointsevenout, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

"The earth doesn't have to be a dumping ground." Um..... what other alternative is there? It's a closed system. Granted, we shouldn't throw trash on the side of the road or poop in someone's yard. However, the earth is where we dispose of things. It's where bears poop in the woods. As humans, we have a choice of how to process what we no longer have a use for. Seems like Humanure is a logical solution for one part of the system.

haypoint and HeavyHauler like this.
  2. steamyb

steamyb Member

I was gonna say dump it on the moon, but we already have.

3. HeavyHauler

HeavyHauler Well-Known Member

I was meaning for trash and such.

Most of it can be reused or recycled.

Alice In TX/MO likes this.
  4. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

Years go, I had a septic service come to a rental house I had. I was standing nearby the tank truck, ready to help as needed, as he opened the 4 inch hose fitting on the back of the tank. Apparently, the night before, while flushing it out, he had pressurized the tank. As he unthreaded the cap, he released the tank's pressure. I was hit with a fine mist from the tank. A fine dew of someone's poo in my face. Yup, seems silly, but there was a yuck factor.
    But, I can pick up a still warm ball of horse crap with a bare hand and not think anything about it.

5. HeavyHauler

Never had a septic tank, so I don't know anything about that.

I can see a yuck factor with other people's poop, but your own; as long as you aren't touching it or anything shouldn't be an issue.

6. steamyb

steamyb Member

Really folks? Poo is poo, source doesn't matter except for human poo. And this is because of the artificial drugs that are left in the poo (even after 'composting'). I don't trust the 'scientific research' that has been done by biased labs to prove a point and/or sell books. Use a little common sense (not so common in an age when we have made gods of math and science), if the human body expelled a substance/chemical once, why would a rational person use that rejected material in their garden? Yes, human poo is good for veggies. But are those same veggies good for you? Do you trust your wellness to a government employee? I don't.
    Sorry if your points didn't change my mind. I have not developed an immune system to handle human waste and really have no stomach for any product that has been fertilized with humanure. IMHO

Alice In TX/MO and HeavyHauler like this.
  7. haypoint

What drugs do you think aren't composted and in that group which ones are absorbed into plants?
    Can I then be assured you don't believe anything Dr. Mercola says? You dismiss everything you read on Naturalnews.com?
    Your body expels most of the nutrients that it takes in. Crude fiber is expelled and good for vegies. The source of the the nutrients makes no difference to the plant and is not different when the nutrient from the plant is digested by you. All manure is "rejected" by every animal. That doesn't make it bad.
    I do not recommend you eat human waste.

Alice In TX/MO and HeavyHauler like this.
  8. steamyb

steamyb Member

Kinda tricky to reply when snippets of what I write are taken out of context.
    You're right,
    I'm wrong.
    And I'm sorry I even mentioned it!

9. HeavyHauler

I don't take artificial medicine.

10. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

You'd be surprised at how many thousands of acres have been fertilized with "Milorganite"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milorganite

arnie likes this.
  11. Alice In TX/MO

12. steamyb

steamyb Member

According to 'Wiki'- Milorganite is not certified for organic food production. I just read the articles you used to try to justify humanure use. Not that I would use Wiki for a reference to try to prove a point, it just shows how folks will go to questionable sources for confirmation. And the same article mentioned pharmacutical waste that was not destroyed by heat or microorganisms, so reading 100 year old 'science' may not be relevant or reliable today. IMHO

13. Alice In TX/MO

That is a point. Did you find any more recent data?

14. steamyb

steamyb Member

Not really, but the rise in some diseases and recurrance of supposedly 'cured' diseases makes me more concerned of a self-inflicted pandemic than aggressive nations. The CDC sent out a warning recently concerning addiction to prescription drugs. In my opinion, this is a grave concern. As a nation we spend billions to fight drug cartels, we spend billions on prescription drugs and we do not learn from history.
    Prohibition created organized crime and gangsters, just as the 'War on Drugs' created drug cartels. The words change to be politically correct, but they are all gangsters. And the pharmacutical industry has turned the pain clinic Drs. into drug pushers.
    And now the last 'free' nation (we lost a lot with the Patriot Act), wants to build a wall.
    Sorry to go off topic, but I have more concerns than eating human poo veggies. Good Luck All!

HeavyHauler likes this.
  15. haypoint

The yuck factor prevails.
    I understand the concerns about drugs in the environment. I don't want you flushing them into a toilet that leads to a river.
    If you accept the organic standard for manure from a factory dairy farm, cattle fed a diet exclusively GMO corn, GMO soybeans and sometimes given antibiotics, but cringe and blame human manure on the spread of diseases in the world, then I'm calling it the yuck factor, not science.