Best dewormer for grown hogs?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by farmergirl, Jun 23, 2006.

1. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a liquid ivermectin solution that's for feeder hogs up to about 100 pounds, but the concentration is quite low, so it's impractical to feed to the sows and boar. Can I use equine dewormer paste to deworm the full grown hogs?

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I'm a bit strange in that if something is intended for cows, I don't use it for sheep and if it's intended for horses, I don't use it for pigs. However, some things are interchangeable between animals under veterinary supervision - I think we call it something like off-label over here which basically means that there is no responsibility on the part of the manufacturer if your animal keels over.

I personally prefer to use injectable Ivomec on all my pigs as this ensures that each pig is getting the correct dose for weight and it has been designed with pigs in mind.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

In matters of the PIG, I would follow Ronnie's reccomendations!

4. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

Hi,

Regarding pig worming; if you get two 8 wk old piglets; house them in a 1/4 acre outdoor pen (where chickens lived formerly) how often/should I worm them and on what type of schedule? The chickens were wormed prior to them going outside. (so 10 wks prior)
    There will only be about 2 wks between when the chickens move out and the piglets move in!

Thank you,

Melissa

5. farmergirl

saving grace,
    I just dewormed my sows for the first time EVER! and they are almost 2 years old. My set up is very much like the one you described at your place. I plan to deworm the feeder pigs only once, about 2 mos before slaughter.

6. farmergirl

Thanks Ronnie! I followed your advice and sought the direction of the local hog vet. He said using the equine ivermectin paste, 1.87%, at the same dosing rate as for the horses is fine :) I just made little dewormer "sandwiches" with folded slices of bread, and the hogs gobbled them up...couldn't have been easier!

7. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

Years ago our vet gave us a large bottle of horse wormer and a paper sheet detailing the dosages for all of our animals (pigs, sheep, dogs, cat). He even told me verbally the dosage for chickens although he said he wouldn't bother with them.

After we finished that bottle I didn't rebuy because we haven't had any worm problems (knock on wood). We do feed garlic, cayenne, milk and cheese which are all natural wormers. Our animals also munch pine tree needles out in the pasture which is another natural wormer. Lastly we have cold winters and apparently that helps to break the cycle.

See this:

http://sugarmtnfarm.com/blog/2005/10/worms-au-natural.html

Cheers,

-Walter